divine

Temporary Permits

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Temporary Permits

Postby Keef » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

I know of two people from different licensing areas who have applied in time for renewal of their FAC and have waited a long time for the renewal to be completed.

One person asked for a Temporary Permit and was told it would take as long to get the permit as for his FAC to be renewed. The other person's FAC runs out this coming Monday but may need a Permit.

The police seem reluctant to issue permits, my own area only issued one when I told them I shoot outside their area.

However, the instructions from the Firearms and Explosive Liaison Working Group say that Licensing Offices must notify FAC holders 12 weeks prior to an FAC expiry about renewal and that if the application is submitted eight weeks prior to run out and the Licensing office cannot renew in that eight weeks then a permit must be issued.

If you are having problems try quoting the link below, specifically para 3.5:

http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/FELWG_Minutes-March-2015.pdf
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Re: Temporary Permits

Postby Ray7756 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:55 pm

They are the POLICE they enfoce laws, dont expect them to follow the laws if it does not suit them :bh: :bh: :bh:

Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Les1066 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:01 pm

I always just carry a photocopy around with me at renewal time. It might not technically be a licence, (or legal!), but at least it proves that I have (had) one, so it's up to the police to follow up . Fortunately, up to now that has never been an issue.
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:00 pm

If you put in for renewal but your FAC expires before they issue the new one then you no longer have a current FAC so are in illegal possession of firearms and they can/will be seized by the police unless you store them at an RFD.

Having a copy of your old FAC will not let you keep your guns if the police come to your house for them or stop you with the guns in your car.

If your FAC is about to run out you need a temporary permit to allow you keep possession. If your renewal went in less than eight weeks prior to run out then lodge them with an RFD unless you want to risk storing them with the police.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi All

Mr Keef makes a VERY good point!

My FAC expires 21.12.2015. My renewal documents were completed, discussed with, and collected by my FEO on 16.10.2015. I still do not have my renewed FAC.

I left a telephone message to the Firearms Licencing on the 16.12.2015. The dept. responded early today, but told me that my "land" needed to be verified. My FEO at the time of collecting my renewal told me that the Police would re-verify my 'permissions'

I fully appreciate their work load, but if I don't receive my FAC by next Monday and I don't insist on temporary cert, I could end up being on the wrong side of the Law.

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Shootist » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:20 pm

If you have submitted your renewal application within the specified advance period then I believe ACPOO (or whatever they call themselves now) has stated that the owner can put his firearms into storage with an RFD and claim the costs that would be incurred. I have had reports from some people that tell me it accelerates the process remarkably.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby MarkC589 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi All,

It's getting worse and the time required is increasing. I had the renewal letter in the first week of November 2015, Sent off all the required paperwork along with the relevant funds off to TVP.

My FAC doesn't run out until May 2016 ????

All the best

Mark
MarkC589

Postby flintlok » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:46 pm

MarkC589 wrote:Hi All,

It's getting worse and the time required is increasing. I had the renewal letter in the first week of November 2015, Sent off all the required paperwork along with the relevant funds off to TVP.

My FAC doesn't run out until May 2016 ????

All the best

Mark

I live in the US and that exactly the same as in Massachusetts for a firearms permit for a non resident. I need to apply in December in order to be promptly renewed for the following May. There's no rushing these folks and they are notoriously slow. It definitely dampens one's enthusiasm for obtaining a permit and the whole permit system. Since I'm a non resident, if my Massachusetts permit expires there no surrendering firearms to anyone. My home state only requires a permit if I intend to conceal carry. That term "carry" has an expanded definition in state law and strictly limits when and where anyone is allowed to have certain guns without a permit. :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby shotgun sam » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:16 pm

I got a section 7 from Glasgow firearms office without any problems when my renewal took longer due to the back log
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
CZ 455 22 Lr/17 Hmr
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
shotgun sam
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Might be a good idea to request a temporary permit when you send in your renewal in plenty time, show them that you have no confidence they can do their job on time :Facepalm:

Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Deallad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Kent police have posted on their web page that they will issue sect 7 permits.

Question is can you buy ammo with one?

They are also deleting all email un-read

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 pm

The permit allows you to legally have the firearms with out an FAC but does not permit you to buy ammunition.

I had one last year and there was no mention of ammunition on it, in fact it could be argued that it isn't a permit to hold any ammunition, just firearms!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder