divine

Just puzzled

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Just puzzled

Postby melg4yng » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Checked the zero on the .270 yesterday in preparation of some stalking. It was wet and windy and I couldn't be bothered to walk to my usual spot but there was a huge logpile with a hill behind it that made a perfect backstop so I used that. I use a 200 yard zero and I could only just get 200 yards at this site. I pinned the target onto a 4 foot diameter stump that was at the front of the pile and trotted off to the 200 yard mark.

Prone in the wet mud I discovered that owing to a slight rise in the ground about 120 yards to the target, I could only see the centre bull and maybe half an inch of white card below it. Never mind, 120 yards in the bullet is going to be at least an inch high so no problem as it ought to be at least 2 inches above the grass at the closest. Ten shots and wandered back to the target. The group was at least 4 inches high and 4 inches right of the centre. It was also over 3 moa. Moved in and left to 175 yards where I had a clear view and the result was the lower group.

So what happened? I know people will say the bullets were touching the ground but I'm sure they weren't as I would have seen the spray off the wet grass and anyway there must have been a couple of inches clearence at least.

I wondered if the shockwave from the bullet is sufficient to move it if it's in close proximity to the ground or is this complete nonsense?

The red circle is where the first group of ten went, the second group was from the 175 yard mark and a 3/4 inch group which is what I would expect.

Mel

IMG_0364.JPG
melg4yng
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Just puzzled

Postby Ray7756 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Were you shooting over level ground or uphill/ downhill if up/ downhill you will shoot high , was there a wind from left to right ??? This could acount for drift to right, when you moved in closer less effect by wind
Im sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:09 pm

melg4yng wrote:

I wondered if the shockwave from the bullet is sufficient to move it if it's in close proximity to the ground or is this complete nonsense?

The red circle is where the first group of ten went, the second group was from the 175 yard mark and a 3/4 inch group which is what I would expect.

Mel

IMG_0364.JPG

heard something similar before, something about the pressure wave lifting the bullet
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Had a similar experience here,

In the prone position could see the target just fine and was hitting high, shot of the bench and on target, think some sort of pressure wave caused the problem.

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter