divine

Paper Patched Bullets

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Paper Patched Bullets

Postby Shootist » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Anyone here tried it? Anyone here any good at it? I'm particularly interested in what would be the best paper. I've seen advice on some USA forums but they speak differently about paper there it seems. I've seen some pretty good shooting using paper patched bullets (and I need all the help I can get!)
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Paper Patched Bullets

Postby thibben » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Evening Mr Shoot,

Yes I've done paper patching in the past and I'm thinking about doing some more as I plan to at least once shoot a deer with either my 45-70 or about to arrive 40-65.

True patched rifling is a bit shallower than normal running around .002 as opposed to the more normal .004" but I had success in using a paper patch bullet in .004 rifling.

You need to make up a patching board to keep things straight - a quick bit of Google-foo gave this which is quite detailed: http://rceco.com/img/rsbook4.pdf

As to the paper, I obtained some high linen content paper that worked real well - but be aware if asking for this type of paper as forgers use it as it's the stuff money's printed on! ;)

I also rubbed the dried PP bullet in graphite to water proof it a bit. The bullets I used were staged pure lead, slightly tapered and had a hollow in the base Ito which the twisted off bottom of the patch pushed.

Good luck and hope you don't mind a bit of faffing round? :bh:

Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Paper Patched Bullets

Postby thibben » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:33 pm

Forgot - Loyt of info here, in fact if it's not on this site don't bother!! : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... r-Patching

T
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder