divine

New M1 "O-66" Garand

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

New M1 "O-66" Garand

Postby Calfed » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:43 am

I've been interested in rebuilt marked Garands and glommed one at an auction earlier this month.

The auction pics came with this description...

U.S. Garand M1 semi-automatic rifle by Springfield Armory., .30 cal., SA barrel dated 11-65, military finish, wood stock, serial #4219605, in overall very good condition showing significant original military finish, good bore, crisp action and markings. The smooth wood military stock has the “P” proof on the pistol grip. The butt stock features sling swivels and a checkered metal butt plate with trap.

"O-6x" marked Garands were rebuilt by the Marine Corps in 1965, 1966 or 1967 and were electro-penciled on the top of the receiver, just behind the rear sight, with the letter "O" (assumed to be for "overhaul" and the last two digits of the year. So this was overhauled either at the Marine Corp depot at Barstow, California or Albany, Georgia in 1966.

The O-66 Garand arrived at my FFL today to begin it's 10 day "cooling off" period. I got a chance to look it over and it looks good. There is a boxed "P" cartouche on the pistol grip of the stock. The stock and metal are in excellent shape...literally no dents, dings or scratches on the stock and the same on the metal. There are no rub marks anywhere, even in the op rod groove on the receiver. Stock looks like an Overton replacement with a very dark finish..

The barrel is an 11-65 SA, with a sharp, shiny bore that gauges about .5 on the CMP muzzle gauge.

Could be wrong about this, but almost looks like it has not been used since it was rebuilt.

More and better pics after I've "cooled off" for 10 days...
Last edited by Calfed on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Re: New M1 "O-66" Garand

Postby flintlok » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:15 pm

I love Garands. They are wonderful rifles that came along for the right place and time in history. They are great fun to shoot, their bark and bite is legendary, and there's the ping. To me they are all collectible. :thup: :thup: :thup:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Lovely looking rifle, dont think you will ever "cool off" on this one
Enjoy shooting it :shotgun: :shotgun: :shotgun:
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:07 pm

flintlok wrote:I love Garands. They are wonderful rifles that came along for the right place and time in history. They are great fun to shoot, their bark and bite is legendary, and there's the ping. To me they are all collectible. :thup: :thup: :thup:

Thanks, flinty!

I love the Garand also and look forward to shooting this one soon.

One of my sons is coming up for the 4th of July weekend and we're planning a trip to the range while he is here.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Ray7756 wrote:Lovely looking rifle, dont think you will ever "cool off" on this one
Enjoy shooting it :shotgun: :shotgun: :shotgun:
Cheers
Ray

Thanks, Ray. One of my sons is coming up this weekend for the 4th of July weekend. we won't be shooting this one, but have plans to getting out to the range to shoot some of the other ones.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:27 am

I picked up the "O-66" Garand today, since the 10-day "cooling off period has elapsed.

It is in great shape. It almost looks like it was overhauled and then went into storage. The stock, bore, and parkerizing are in near perfect condition. There are a few very light rub marks on the stock and very few dents or dings.

The bore is "1-" on the CMP muzzle gauge and the lands and grooves are shiny and sharp.

Everything feels tight and I'm looking forward to shooting this one.

ImageImage
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:24 am

Looks great! :thup:
Just wish we could own them over here! :bh: I'd love to own a Garand.
Enjoy!
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 am

Yeh, that is in very nice shape. I love the Springfield Armory markings on the receiver. It's a classic. :thup: :thup: :thup:

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks, guys!

I made a quick stop at the range because, as Albert Popwell famously stated, "I gots to know".

Only got in a few rounds to get it on paper @ 100 yards, then an 8 round clip of CMP Creedmoor target ammo. I'll do more extensive ammo testing soon.

Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:15 pm

Nice group. That would be a few less Nazis in to kick around in circa 1941. The Attorney General (i.e. liberal lying Democrat) just outlaw virtually all semi auto in Massachusetts due a clause in the copy cat 1994 federal assault weapons ban enacted by the state where there exisst a phrase that outlaw similar or alike actions to the banned guns. Since a semi's have similar actions no distributor will ship a semiauto anything to the state. The folks that have them are "allow" to keep them for now. It's sought of like outlawing cars. Everyone seems to have on and can keep it and use it but no new ones are allowed into the state as if that's going to stop anything. The law affect dealers only so intrastate person to person transfers are still legal only when there is no dealer involved. The person receiving the gun is supposed to register it with the state that he now own a semiauto "assault weapon" . I believe that will be an awfully short registration line. Still as a permit holding non resident I can bring my semiauto anything into the state legally and blithely blast away on any range. I'm don't believe that Garands can be sold in the state however they may be an exception with a fixed magazine. Still the semiauto action may doom them also. I never that I would say the but California laws are better than the crap in Massachusetts. Enjoy them if you got them. :Facepalm: :Facepalm: :Facepalm: :Facepalm: :Facepalm:

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks, flinty.

Sorry to hear about the crap in Mass. Governor "Moonbeam" just signed a bunch of crap laws back here.

Everyone is supposed to give up all their magazines that exceed 10 rounds...even though they were legal at the time that you acquired them.

The state is going to require you to register "bullet button" rifles as "assault weapons"...then no more. Only legal semi-auto rifles with a pistol grip will be required to be disassembled to be reloaded.

All ammo sales must be made through a licensed ammunition dealer and buyers will need a permit to buy ammo. All mail order ammo sales must be shipped to a dealer. And to stop people from buying ammo out of state and bringing it back to California---well, that illegal too.

So far the Garands and carbines are still Ok.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:56 am

I'll stay in Rhode Island and be happy. :thumbs: :thumbs:

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:23 am

Lovely!!

BTW, those dings in the woodwork look to me that they would probably steam out.
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Cam wrote:Lovely!!

BTW, those dings in the woodwork look to me that they would probably steam out.

Thanks, Cam! I'm pretty sure you are right about the dings steaming out. I just might do that..

Somewhat embarrassed to admit that I glommed another Garand over the weekend...a Letterkenny Army Depot rebuild from 1965.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby English » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 pm

More very nice toys! :thumbs:
If it has a trigger I'm gonna enjoy it!

Look - an eagle!

http://www.ukgunworks.co.uk/
English
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter