divine

Explosives licence

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Explosives licence

Postby Ray7756 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Just handed in my aplication for an explosives licence (Black Powder) so now its "waiting time" my local feo (perth) told me it will be dealt with in Edinburgh so will see how long it takes
How many lbs do people normally ask for ??? Left that bit empty til they come visit, thinking of muzzle loading pistol and rifle also bp cartridge so 3 types of powder
:shotgun: :shotgun: :shotgun:
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Explosives licence

Postby The_Dogge » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Just looking at form ER 4A I can't see anywhere where a quantity is asked for, no quantity is on the license IIRC, "fill your boots", metaphorically!

For shotgun and pistol I just use the same powder, seems to work! It's not so safety critical as nitro, the advice I got for loading shotgun was "use the same scoop for the powder and shot". At the range I saw a guy who was going to be a shot down in competition due to a cap not going off just ram another ball down a muzzle loading rifle, I wouldn't want to try that with nitro powder but it seemed fine with black!
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby thibben » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Just renewed mine along with the FAC & SGC, 15kg was mentioned as an un licensed storage, which my house is.

There was a 'combination' of BP to smokeless propellant at one time but not sure if this still stands?

T
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Keef » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:42 pm

If you have more than 15kg of explosives then you need a separate licence. The legal requirement was aimed at RFDs selling ammo and powder but I believe it extends to FAC holder who reload and or use blackpowder.

The "explosive" would include your your black powder, ordinary reloading powder, loaded ammunition including .22 rimfire and primers.

Regarding loaded ammo, it is the explosive content, not the weight of the complete round. For SK .22lr Magazine average weight of explosive (powder and primer)1.05 grains.
1000 rounds = 1050 grains = 68.03 grams, so 5000 rounds would be 0.34Kg. 30,000 gets you 2.041KG!

The link to the HSE information is here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg477.htm
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Ray7756 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Just re-read the forms amount is if it is going int a Police Licenced Store limited to ???kg
And from other comments up to 15 kg is far far more than I would need
:cheers:
Cheers guys
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:25 pm

I've nearly always use FFFg powder for most everything. I like FFFFg for priming flintlocks but I have also used FFFg for that too. I seem to get my best performance with FFFg. I've used the FFg for large bore muzzle loading as well as cartridge but a always go back to FFFg. In the US individuals can order up to 25 pounds of black powder and have it dropped shipped to your home. I use lots of powder but 25 pounds will last a long time. Then there's the storage issues. I like using 70 grain charges in most of my large bores. Since there are 7000 grains to a pound I cam burn through a pound of powder every hundred shoots.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:58 pm

flintlok wrote:I've nearly always use FFFg powder for most everything. I like FFFFg for priming flintlocks but I have also used FFFg for that too. I seem to get my best performance with FFFg. I've used the FFg for large bore muzzle loading as well as cartridge but a always go back to FFFg. In the US individuals can order up to 25 pounds of black powder and have it dropped shipped to your home. I use lots of powder but 25 pounds will last a long time. Then there's the storage issues. I like using 70 grain charges in most of my large bores. Since there are 7000 grains to a pound I cam burn through a pound of powder every hundred shoots.

Still in the research stage about the guns I want , also in the research stage of finding a new job so spending on guns at a definate hold at the moment, but pretty sure I wil go for a colt walker pistol ( had one before) and I definately want a bp cartridge rifle and a muzzle loader, might even get a few smooth bore flintlocks as they can go on my shotgun cert and dont need a variation
:cheers: :shotgun: :thumbs:
Oops shooting my shotgun at a guy with thumbs up,,,,,,,,,,,very unsporting lol
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder