divine

Smith and Wesson "S" serial number Highway Patrolman

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Smith and Wesson "S" serial number Highway Patrolman

Postby Calfed » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 am

Been on a bit of a Smith And Wesson binge of late...

I've always wanted a 3.5" model 27, but they have gotten so dad gummed expensive, I glommed this 4" model 28 instead.

Because of California's crazy handgun laws, pre-lock revolvers must be "Curio and Relic" (over 50 years old) or an in-state private party purchase to be available in Cali. This one is a C&R.

The finish looks decent, grips seem solid and it should be a good shooter.

Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Smith and Wesson "S" serial number Highway Patrolman

Postby Coldfinger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:34 am

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

The Model 28 was the second pistol I purchased back in around 1976/77. True, it didn't have the lovely deep gloss bluing of the Model 27 but it was a pleasure to shoot.

I used it for precision pistol at 25yards, Police Pistol I & II and Practical Pistol (IPSC Shooting). Shooting Practical Pistol with a revolver did earn a bit of scorn in the early day but I could still beat people using .45 autos.

Of the five pistols I owned, including the S&W 6" Model 29, the Highway Patrolman was my favourite. If I could have one handgun again it would be a Patrolman. :cry:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Alas, I have two Model 27's sporting 3.5 inch barrels, a Model 28-2 with a six inch barrel pinned and rebated, a Model 19-2 sporting a 4 inch barrel, and a Model 13-2 sporting a 4 inch barrel of which are blued and in 357 caliber. I keep them next to my Pythons. I only mention this to make Coldfinger's day. Otherwise noted, lately I prefer shooting the Model 10's in 38 Special, the pencil barrel and the pre numbering 5 screw. One thing about the N Frame Smiths, those buggers go out of timing. I had Smith re-time both my Model 27's and the Model 28. The K frame's timing seems to last forever.

Calfed, are you watching out for the new Colt Cobra's. It looks like a winner and has my interest. I read Colt is having financial problems. I hope that's not true and I would love to see them develop the product line.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Coldfinger wrote::thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

The Model 28 was the second pistol I purchased back in around 1976/77. True, it didn't have the lovely deep gloss bluing of the Model 27 but it was a pleasure to shoot.

I used it for precision pistol at 25yards, Police Pistol I & II and Practical Pistol (IPSC Shooting). Shooting Practical Pistol with a revolver did earn a bit of scorn in the early day but I could still beat people using .45 autos.

Of the five pistols I owned, including the S&W 6" Model 29, the Highway Patrolman was my favourite. If I could have one handgun again it would be a Patrolman. :cry:

Thanks, CF! Really sorry about your Model 28.

I got to my FFL and looked the Highway Patrolman over...it looks really nice. I'm looking forward to shooting this and will post a range report.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:18 pm

flintlok wrote:Alas, I have two Model 27's sporting 3.5 inch barrels, a Model 28-2 with a six inch barrel pinned and rebated, a Model 19-2 sporting a 4 inch barrel, and a Model 13-2 sporting a 4 inch barrel of which are blued and in 357 caliber. I keep them next to my Pythons. I only mention this to make Coldfinger's day. Otherwise noted, lately I prefer shooting the Model 10's in 38 Special, the pencil barrel and the pre numbering 5 screw. One thing about the N Frame Smiths, those buggers go out of timing. I had Smith re-time both my Model 27's and the Model 28. The K frame's timing seems to last forever.

Calfed, are you watching out for the new Colt Cobra's. It looks like a winner and has my interest. I read Colt is having financial problems. I hope that's not true and I would love to see them develop the product line.

I've read about the N frame timing issue. I guess that big, heavy cylinder can wear on the cylinder stop once it starts turning. I've heard that the 7 and 8 shot N frams have less of a problem because their cylinders are lighter.

My son was mentioning the new Cobra. Haven't seen one myself.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Calfed wrote:
flintlok wrote:Alas, I have two Model 27's sporting 3.5 inch barrels, a Model 28-2 with a six inch barrel pinned and rebated, a Model 19-2 sporting a 4 inch barrel, and a Model 13-2 sporting a 4 inch barrel of which are blued and in 357 caliber. I keep them next to my Pythons. I only mention this to make Coldfinger's day. Otherwise noted, lately I prefer shooting the Model 10's in 38 Special, the pencil barrel and the pre numbering 5 screw. One thing about the N Frame Smiths, those buggers go out of timing. I had Smith re-time both my Model 27's and the Model 28. The K frame's timing seems to last forever.

I've read about the N frame timing issue. I guess that big, heavy cylinder can wear on the cylinder stop once it starts turning. I've heard that the 7 and 8 shot N frams have less of a problem because their cylinders are lighter.

My son was mentioning the new Cobra. Haven't seen one myself.

Yeah the Cobra's seem as pre-production pieces only. In the meanwhile I've been looking at a Tokarev, specifically the Yugo Tokarev M57. Southern Ohio Gun has them new made in Serbia for $239 dealer cost. I could possibly do a transfer with an FFL for a fee, There in 7.62X25mm. The ammo is not cheap however I thing that I could reload for a reasonable cost after buying the die sets form RCBS or Lee and a bullet mould from NOE for 85 grain 0.314 as cast gas check bullets. Lee makes a taper a crimp die for the caliber. The reloading gear is near the cost of the gun. Still it would be fun so shoot Commie a bit as a different experience. Have you any experience with the Tokarev?
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder