divine

New Rifle Decisions

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

New Rifle Decisions

Postby Shootist » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:54 pm

OK, I'm on the cusp of a variation and I need to decide what I want to get, in respect of just one slot on my ticket. The rifle will primarily be used for target shooting (dicking about with guns) but might lapse over into hunting, maybe. Here's my options.

1. Sharps 45/70 of the longer variety, 30" to 34" barrel. Positives are 1) I'd like one, 2) I already have lots of gear for 45/70. Negatives, 1) a bloody big rifle to cart around (it will fit in my gun safe OK), 2) Most likely would be using aperture sights but I have old eyes.

2. Bergara single shot break barrel 45/70. I like this rifle, I have one in .308. Inexpensive, with a quality barrel. Positives, 1)I can fit a scope, 2) the barrel is factory threaded and if I can find a sound moderator for it ( ;) ), it could be both fun and interesting. Certainly small species deer legal and probably OK for the biguns if I stoke it (and leave the moderator off!). Negatives, doesn't fill any sort of classic slot.

3. Something in 20 AAC Blackout. Positives 1) uses 30 cal. bullets, 2) can duplicate ballistics of 7.62/39 or with a heavy bullet does a good job subsonically. 3) I already have a sound moderator that would fit.

I can only get one, for a variety of reasons.

Off you go chaps. (Please show your workings)
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: New Rifle Decisions

Postby Keef » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Go for the Sharps 45 - 70.

It's big and heavy and with your knackered body you won't be able to carry it very far or very much which will keep your shooting costs down.

Plus you can use it in the Military Rifle Comp at the club if you get Rob to carry it to the 200 point for you.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Re: New Rifle Decisions

Postby flintlok » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Go for the Sharps. If weight is an issue the buy a carbine version. I have a 300 Whisper which is pretty much the same as an the Blackout. I would opt for the Blackout if you wanted to shoot subsonic heavy bullets mostly however you can for the 45-70 similar subsonic loads. The 45-70 is a handloaders round and there are loads of cast bullets, inexpensive, available for it. Both guns feature rainbow trajectories. I would lean 45-70.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder