divine

Building a new rifle.

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Building a new rifle.

Postby Texasproud » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:52 am

Went to the Dallas ArmsCollector's gunshow on Saturday and got a new stripped AR lower receiver from Spike's Tactical, I'm thinking of making a dedicated subsonic 300 Blackout. The first thing I'm going to do is get theATF form 1 sent in to get the receiver registered for an SBR, it will also be listed as multi caliber.
Texasproud
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Building a new rifle.

Postby flintlok » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:39 pm

I bought a 300 Whisper years ago. It was designed around subsonic use. I reloaded subsonic rounds with 240 grain bullets using 2400 powder. That load is quiet without a moderator. I shot that at the local range. There was the local deputy chief of police watching me plugging away at the target. The rifle was a little louder than a toy cap pistol and one could hear the bullet whacking the target at 100 yards. After a while the deputy asked "what kind of gun is that anyway". He found it hard to believe the rifle was that quiet without a moderator.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Building a new rifle.

Postby Texasproud » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:12 am

I got a .458 Win mag like that, Hornady .460 lead ball, light charge of bullseye and some kopeck filler. Comes out about 900 fps and pretty quiet. SD is pretty consistent so I'm not worried about SEE. (For newbies Secondary Explosive Effect)
Texasproud
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder