divine

An interesting discovery on 't net

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

An interesting discovery on 't net

Postby Shootist » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:08 pm

I've been searching for info on using Dacron filler for downloaded cartridges, specifically 45/70. In the course of said surfing I found info on using cardboard tubes in a case to reduce the case volume while keeping a powder column that did not have an airspace in front of it between powder and bullet. This seems to relate mainly to black powder loads, in particular the reduced cavalry load for the 45/70. For anyone that does not know, an airspace between black powder and the bullet is considered to be quite dangerous, at least to the firearm and possibly to the shooter.

I'm really just sharing this for information and comments. It seems to make sense as far as black powder is concerned, and maybe some reduced load nitro.

By way of disclaimer, I have no idea whatever of the effectiveness of this approach, neither any dangers, although I doubt there would be any, but that's just my opinion. which lack of knowledge rarely stops me from offering.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: An interesting discovery on 't net

Postby Ray7756 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Having shot black powder many times but never a BP cartridge this post got me to do a bit of research, for muzzle loaders a short charge ie ball not touching powder which leaves an air space is a definate NO NO, so it follows that the same would go for a BP cartridge, so looking up the Lyman BP handbook and loading manual 2 nd edition l came up with this, it is on page 130 if you want to double check
load density
A full case of powder with no air space is considered loaded to 100% density. This is a good ide with the black powder cartridge, especially for accuracy. If the powder charge does not take up all of the air space in the cartridge case , a filler is recomended. See below

lubricating discs as fillers
Commercial discs from Ox- yoke Originals and other companies work well. Some may have to be trimmed to size. A single disc is installed on top ofthe powder charge, the bullet seatedfirmly on top of it. This not only provides important lubrication for the bore of the rifle, but also serves to take up air space for 100% load density

The above is typed by me so any mistakes/ typos are mine, but i think it is clear that ellimination of air space to give 100% load density is what is required for safety and accuracy, with the bonus of adding some lube for the bore

Hope this helps
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Shootist » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm

A bit more research seems to show that the Dacron filler is for nitro loads where there isn't much powder in the case, particularly in straight wall cases. The idea is that a very loose filling of fluffed Dacron holds the powder against the primer end of the case. The use of a plain wad to do this can (I read) cause very high pressures which can ring the chamber, not good. Apparently this is caused by the blast of a column of air being compressed against the bullet. I can't verify this, but it's out there on the net. By contrast, the loose weave of the Dacron allows the ignition to act more naturally (?)

Anyhow, I decided to purchase some Dacron, and on the bay I got about the cheapest supply I could find without taking much note of the quantity. I now have enough Dacron to have supplied the entire Union Army for a good couple of months!
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Yup, I ringed a muzzle loaded barrel by not firmly seating the ball. The same thing nearly happen when I short load my 557 Snider and left an air space in a black powder cartridge load. The gun definitely gave a different sounding report and kicked a bit harder. The general rule of thumb holds that there to be no air space whatsoever in a black powder load of any type. It's more of a fine art in smokeless powder loads. I use wax wads occupying more air space by 50 thousands of an inch for a certain bullets and I had to use reduce powder loads. The loading data is very scare for such loads. I've successfully loaded 357 and 44 Magnums with reduced loads and wax wads and reduced air space but it's not something that I care to do with other loads.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Just make sure you use dacron and not Devcon!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Shootist » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Never mind the quality, feel the width.
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder