divine

6.5x55 Swedish vs 6.5x55 SKAN which is which? (UPDATED)

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

6.5x55 Swedish vs 6.5x55 SKAN which is which? (UPDATED)

Postby Jubbles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi all

I recently purchased some 6.5x55 Norma Diamond Line Fält it is 130gr moly coated HPBT (non-expanding) long range ammo. It seems rather high pressure at 2986ft/sec muzzle velocity.

However I was researching 6.5x55 reloading options and I came across the fact that 6.5x55 SKAN exists and is seemingly simply a higher pressure loading of 6.5x55 and is NOT safe to fire through an older action such as that of a M1896 Swedish Mauser (Which is what I have!).

So on the box it is not labelled as 6.5x55 SKAN, but given they are exactly the same case, overall length etc. just loaded differently how can I tell if it is safe to shoot?

The box doesn't lable the pressure limits and simply says 6.5x55!

VihtaVouri lists both 6.5x55 and 6.5x55 SCAN to have the same trim length of 54.8mm.

I like having a face in one piece, so how is one to know which is which?

UPDATE

So I called the gun shop I purchased the ammunition from and also called Norma in Sweden direct. The following is what I learned/was told:

- When I called Norma I was told that the difference between the two lay in how far the case length could be. In SE you need to trim to 54.7mm long, but in SKAN the case can stretch out to more than 55mm. The ammunition loaded by the factory is safe in SE chambered rifles and all ammunition manufactured in Scandinavia is made to work in SE rifles. But you can handload to form SKAN ammo.

- When I called the gun shop they called RUAG who stated the ammunition would be fine to fire in an M1896 rifle like mine. However they refused to put this in writing as did the gun shop as in both of their opinions "You take on the risk when you pull the trigger".

I'm not sure how I feel about the risk aspect. It is true that there are rifles in a huge spectrum of conditions and they cannot be held responsible for someone elses manufacturing standards or poor maintenance.
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder