divine

Re-tubing a .22 lr rifle.

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Re-tubing a .22 lr rifle.

Postby Shootist » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 am

OK, so there's been a moan about no new posts, so here's one.

I bought an 1885 Winchester Low Wall .22lr made in 1906. While it's not a particularly pristine example, it is unbelievably cute. The trouble is, it doesn't seem to be much of a shooter. Hardly surprising when the rifle is about as old as I feel in the morning these days. I have a 1920s Greener small frame Martini rifle, also in .22 lr which has at some time in it's life been 'Parker Rifled', which is to say it has had the barrel bored out and a rifled tube inserted. These were often said to be more accurate than the original and was considered to be a cheap way of improving a worn rifle. This Greener is certainly acceptably accurate even though the Parker Tube was probably fitted over half a century ago.

OK, that sounds like a workable solution so I start phoning gunsmiths. Not one expressed any interest in doing this, several saying 'no' by quoting a starting price of at least £1,000! As I start digging in to the matter I am rewarded by finding a PDF file linked by Brownells no less on how to perform this miracle of engineering. You need the rifled tube, of course, a piloted drill to suit bore and length, which Brownells conveniently supply, a chamber reamer, a few basic tools, some accraglass (sp?) and, would you believe, a hand held power drill. Oh! Nearly forgot, a padded bench vice. (There is a Youtube video of a bloke doing a re-tube but he's dead posh and uses a lathe)

Basically, you remove the barrel from the action, if you can't get at it all the way through from both ends. Put the barrel in the vice. Take the piloted drill and carefully start on one end of the barrel using your handheld power drill, variable speed preferred (!). The pilot follows the original bore, keeping things straight. The drill goes just over halfway down the barrel. You then turn the barrel round and drill from the other end. Because the pilot drill is still following the original bore, everything lines up nicely. Once through, you clean it up a bit, and fit the tube using accraglass to bond it in place. Then you trim the front and re-crown, trim the back and ream a new chamber (That's the tricky bit I bet) and Robert is your mother's brother. Getting hold of rifled tubes might be a bit of a job, as at first glance they seem to exist now only in the USA, who place export restrictions on such weapons of mass destruction to about the only country in the world that speaks to them voluntarily any more.

If I could get the tube I'd be tempted to give it a go myself, apart from the chamber reaming bit.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Re-tubing a .22 lr rifle.

Postby Les1066 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Shootist wrote:If I could get the tube I'd be tempted to give it a go myself, apart from the chamber reaming bit.

Brownells have them:-

https://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.s ... rchButton=
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Les1066 wrote:
Shootist wrote:If I could get the tube I'd be tempted to give it a go myself, apart from the chamber reaming bit.

Brownells have them:-

https://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.s ... rchButton=

£54.40 *
Is a 'Call to order' product.

Unfortunately, this product cannot be ordered.

:(
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:34 pm

In the US Redman has made a business of relining rifle barrels. http://www.redmansrifling.com/liners.htm . There are others of course. There is a fellow in Pennsylvania who specializes in black powder rifles who can also do such barrel lining.
His contact information is:

Robert Hoyt
2379 Mt Hope Rd
Fairfield, PA 17320-9756

I know this information isn't of much use in the UK however in the US it is. I used both fellows in the past and they are great to work with. Kevin Redman tends to pick and choose which guns he'll reline however the Winchester high wall and low walls are a relatively easy project. I have a "Winder Musket" low wall in 22 short. I would love to convert it to 22 long however the rifle is highly collectible as it is so it remains in 22 short. It's a solid rifle definitely overbuilt for a 22 short. I tend to find shooters that have poor bores or cut barrels. It's an easy project to restore them to firing order with barrel lining. They all shoot great.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jubbles » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:36 am

The main problem in all of this is that we have an antiquated system of proofing rifles that makes re-barreling a rifle extremely expensive. Often far more so than simply buying a new rifle.

What we need to do is recognise that a competent gunsmith can change a barrel with very little issues.

Sticking two overcharged rounds through a gun does bugger all.
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Deallad » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:14 pm

Try getting a local rfd to order it for you
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP