divine

Help required on Mini red dot sights for GSG 1911

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Help required on Mini red dot sights for GSG 1911

Postby Longshanx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Fellas.
Think about putting a red dot on my GSG 1911?
I’ve been looking at the mounting plates and removing the rear sight.
Have any of you bought the mounting plate? If so which one did you buy?
Looked at some 1911 standard mounts but read that they do not fit the GSG.
There is another model I’ve seen but the description says it is only for SMS and Vortex sights.
These sights are a little out my price range at the moment and it’s a shame to put it back in the box if I decide I don’t like them.
Been looking on eBay and Amazon but want to make sure before I buy to save messing about sending it back.
Any advice would be welcome.
In regards to shooting safety, until you are ready to fire, "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch."
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Re: Help required on Mini red dot sights for GSG 1911

Postby Bushdog » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:26 am

Not much in way of specific advice, but be aware that putting a dot sight on it will significantly increase slide weight and may reduce function or mean a reduced number of loads which will function correctly.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 pm

For the basic model you can remove the rear sight, add a block which then allows you to fit a red dot sight. The movement of the slide shakes the sh1t out of the red dot and you end up with loss of accuracy. You really don't want the sight to move around.

The tactical model has the wrap around shroud with piccalilli rail which is better for sight attachment but it increases the size and weight of the gun. It's also OK f you want to strap a lasser underneath and a red dot on the top.

When I finally get round to it I'm taking off the wrap around and fitting this which someone has bought but removed because the competitions he enters require open sights. I have no idea of the make.

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Longshanx » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 am

I also had the concern about the sight getting knocked about and losing accuracy.

I’ll take another look on tinternet and look again at the different wraps.

I’m getting a rail put on the bottom and the moment only cost £25 to get it done, didn’t think that was badly priced.
In regards to shooting safety, until you are ready to fire, "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch."
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder