divine

Semi-Auto advice

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Re: Semi-Auto advice

Postby Haggis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 am

Smugley wrote:Another nice looking rifle.
I take it that these are very much competition practical firearms??

The first AR pic I posted has a match chambered barrel, shoots very small groups. In mini-rifle it works to simulate the weight of a proper .223 AR , so I don't crap the bed when I shoot 3gun in the USA.
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby kenj » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi Smugley, I thought you want a practical rifle, or did I misread that as tactical. The Magtech 7002 is an excellent rifle , that won't break the bank. I have been using mine for at least a dozen years and it has broken into a very sweet rifle, which has put hundreds of rabbits in the pot. It is light weight and accurate firing Winchester 42 grain subs. Mine cost £150 brand new with the scope, so a s.hand model today should be cheap. I have seen the 7002 with tactical A/R dressing on YouTube, so the parts must be available.
One word of warning about hunting with an A/R lookalike, expect to be hassled by the police, if you shoot in an urban environment. Dog walkers may mistake you for a terrorist out practicing!
This is a recent blog http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/inde ... n-rabbits/
kenj
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Matt H » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 pm

By Practical i assume you really mean mini rifle. Move and shoot with a .22lr semi auto.

For practical you need a set up which allows for speed. This means:

Easy to get at and operate bolt release.
Easy to get at and operate mag release.
Easy to insert / remove magazines.
Easy to grab magazines from pouches.
Easy to manipulate into different positions and angles.
Several magazines that hold at least 20-25 rounds (~x4).
Available extras - mag pouches etc.
You also need to consider your optics either a red dot/ holographic site or a low mag scope. (Not a ultra cheap bb suitable red dot, it will break even on a .22 eventually especially with the hardship a min irifle match may impart.)

This is why ergonomic black rifles are popular and why pretty much all competitive shooters use them. There are lots of add-ons and pouches to go with them too.

I use a spike tactical but you do not need to spend the money on a semi custom rifle. There are a number of S&W M&P 15-22 on the circuit for example, save up a little more and look at these (these start at £575.00)?!

Rugers are fine, but can be very fiddly (not good for mini rifle) and you will have to spend money on bringing one up to spec to be remotely competitive in the future.

I doubt you would find the magtech suitable, this is a gallery / rabbiting gun. The RX22 has been discontinued this includes parts production. This means spares and mags will become very hard to get very quickly! I would advise against both of these rifles.

As for tinkering. An AR style rifle is a meccano kit. You can play customising it to your hearts content if you want to spend money on making it yours.
Matt H
Rifleman
Rifleman

Previous

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder