Switch to full style
Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics
Write comments

Re: Ruger Old Army...legal in UK?

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:35 am

Thanks, guys.

I think I will leave it "stock" for now.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:29 am

I have a Ruger Old Army Stainless, which is a very reliable performer. Whenever we have a club shoot with muzzle loaders, it seems the Rugers are head and shoulders above original designs in terms of reliability.

——————————————————————————————
adidas zx flux

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:36 am

Just a quick reminder to the UK members that 777 has been re-classified as an explosive and requires an explosives licence same as BP
Cheers
Dave

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 pm

I only use Pyrodex for the "less hassle" factor

Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:22 am

Coldfinger wrote:I only use Pyrodex for the "less hassle" factor

If you come by you'll find that I don't subscribe to the heresy of Pyrodex. I only use 3F black powder for my soot shooters. I am a true follower of the ancient art of the flintlock and percussion ignition systems. Pyrodex is something that I would expect SidebySide to use.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:38 pm

I used 777 rather than going through the hassle of applying for an explosives licence for Black Powder (UK Requisite)
Now that they have reclassified 777 and I had to get an explosives licence anyway!
I use 777 now because I have a fair amount remaining and it is easier to source than BP
I have even used it when loading cartridges for my .577/450

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Have you fellows used any cartridge conversion cylinders. I think of converting a 36 cap and ball to 38 Colt long or short cartridge. It requires some finessesing since the bore diameter of the 36 Colt is 0.375 inch diameter and the bullet itself is a heeled or rebated bullet where that base is designed it sit inside the case of a shortened 38 Special and the wider body of the bulleted sits on the rim of the case. It's strickly a black powder cartridge but it converts a cap and ball into a center fire. I would like to do that with a open framed Colt 1851 Navy either a Pietta or Uberti. Have you any experience with that set up.

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:43 pm

Such a conversion would be illegal in UK
However I do have a .38 cap & ball revolver converted to fire nitro using shotgun primers (I use HERCO)

IMG_0181_1024.jpg

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:36 am

Nice. I shoot cap and ball as well as regular cartridge pistols. I like cap and ball although with some Italians pistols it can be a challenge to keep them operating. It's too bad that cartridge conversions are illegal in the UK. It's highly unlikely that they would ever be used in a crime. It's not a simple or "off the shelf project" to load for a 38 Long Colt cartridge and once loaded it's the cartridge has the energy somewhere between a 32 ACP and a 38 Smith and Wesson (not 38 Special). It's just something out of 19th century long out of use in our time.

-

Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:23 am

Hi - In return for fixing my laptop, I told my neighbor Id clean his Ruger Mark 2 Target pistol.
He only told me that he couldnt figure it out. I see hammer marks on the large pin that sticks up behind the sights. The bolt will only come back halfway. I tried the device on the rear of the pistol grip but it only comes out a short distance. I called him and he said something about the firing pin falling. Any help? Thanks, Dave

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:49 am

Hi Calfed
In addition to BP pistols we are able to hold muzzle loading pistols that use nitro propellants such as HERCO or BLUE DOT with shotgun primers.
Check out Westlake Engineering - https://www.westlakeengineering.com/
An example of what is available to us here
Cheers
Dave
Write comments