divine

243Ai fianly fired

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

243Ai fianly fired

Postby skany » Fri May 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Picked up the new toy on tuesday after god knows how long since I set the ball rolling on my custom built 243AI

Neil AKA dasherman has done a fantastic jopb of screwing all the bits & bobs together to make a rifle that should last me many years!(the time isue was nothing to do with neil by the way!I Just seemed to have a mare with incorect parts!)

the quality of the screwcutting & bedding is unreal!

loaded up 15rds to check the case would blow out to AI flavor ok & off to a little farm jsut up the road from me!

loaded up
5x 68g bergers
5x80g bergers
5x nosler 70g BT with VIT150 & cci BR primers

I thought even tho its a match barrel id do the shoot clean/shoot clean thing anyhows!

anyway

Quick boresight & i was a couple of inches left of the dot which was bloody close as normally im lucky to hit the paperSo a result from the first shot really

Then the shoot & cleaning started!

I fired 3 more 80g bergers & they all were touching !!!popped a 68g berger in & still touching!

started cleaning every other shot & fired 4x 68g bergers into a silly little hole popped the last 80 g in & i tell u it wasent a millon miles away!(bottom right group!)

Basicaly the worst group is like 3/8 of an inch & thats whilst fireforming tp AI & cleaning every few mins !
Plus differnt weight bullets!

Fairly happy with the shillen barrel i can tell u!

anyway a picture paints a thousand words

(noslers top 68g bergers & onex 80g lower right)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/ ... MG2290.jpg

excuse the cow poo as the buggers knocked my box over & were hanging around like a rash around the truck!Kept havin to cahse em off!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/ ... MG2286.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/ ... MG2288.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/ ... MG2289.jpg
Rifle is a 243AI
shillen 1-12 barrel invisable thread protector
lawton action
A5 Mcmillan piller bedded
Jewle trigger

& looks like a millon other custom builds out there BUT its mine

Its all been media blasted a satin non glare finnish wich looks the dogs %########$

Ill have to say again Dasherman dose a FANTASTIC job at really sensible money!

THANKS VERY MUCH MATE(bet ur glad its finished)

It has a Preditor 8 compact on it which i was a little dubious about as i know Baz has had a few probs with them but ill have to say for the size & the fact that its got the wrong baffels(30cal at the mo untill next week)
It really does work well & its micro small compaired withthe 15"T12 pes i had last!
It may not be quite as good as others but its smaller/lighter/cheaper dosent wake the dead & i dont need ear plugs so thats good enough for me!

Anny way im chuffed & gona try & blood it later!

cheers Andy
skany
Musketeer
Musketeer

Re: 243Ai fianly fired

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri May 09, 2008 6:54 pm

Very nice Andy :)

Is that a round keyholed 2nd from bottom right?

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby skany » Fri May 09, 2008 7:49 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:Very nice Andy :)

Is that a round keyholed 2nd from bottom right?

Kev.

nope but i can see what u mean does look a bit like it!

The paper got a bit mingin wet when face down on wet grass & cow poo! :angry: :lol:
skany
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby jeff » Sat May 10, 2008 12:52 am

Can't believe you got to fire yours first. :(

Still, all the issues sorted with mine too now, and off to the range this morning. Will report back.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 243AI finally fired

Postby jeff » Sat May 10, 2008 8:32 am

Right, FINALLY got out for a play with my .243AI today too. Very similar spec to Andy's:

Stiller Predator action
Lilja 26" fluted barrel, 1:12 twist
McMillan A5 stock
Jewell HVR trigger
HS Precision DM kit

Anyway, it was pissing down all morning, very windy and probably the crappiest day all year - and I pick it to go to the range! :roll:

Needed to get the Lapua brass fireformed, and only had a couple of hours before the pistol match, with no time to mess about or shoot the wind, most groups were crap, but a couple obviously managed all 5 shots in the same or similar conditions. This is one of those! :)

5 shot group, measuring edge to edge 0.522" with .243 gives a group of .279", so with fireforming loads, standard .243 case, nowhere near a hot load and no brass prep, I'm well chuffed. Can't remember for sure, but I think this was with N140, though Win 748 had a few good ones too.

I've got a mate coming over from Melbourne on Tuesday, and he's a State level competiton fly shooter, so I'll get some proper loads made up and see what he can do with it too.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby skany » Sat May 10, 2008 1:12 pm

took it out last night 2 dog foxs & a cub:)

ideal
just pipped u there Jeff mate :lol:

looks like u got a shooter too:-)

Andy
skany
Musketeer
Musketeer

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder