divine

Rifling twist for 223

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Rifling twist for 223

Postby Keef » Fri May 09, 2008 6:24 pm

There are a number of twist rates available for the 223. My Savage has a 1 in 9, Pauls VSSF will have 1 in 12.

The 1 in 9 appears able to take up to a 75gr bullet, the 1 in 12 some what less.

For the shooter who is only doing target shooting and is on a tight budget, what twist rate will be the most future proof?

A novice starting shooting the McQueens and other short range comps might choose a 1 in 12 twist but if they want to progess later to longer ranges they would need a tighter twist.

The main question is would a new shooter be best advised to buy a tighter twist to start with rather than upgrading later?

I personally favour getting a 1 in 9 to start with, hence my Savage but what does the panel think?
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Re: Rifling twist for 223

Postby hungryrob » Sat May 10, 2008 12:03 am

Keef wrote:There are a number of twist rates available for the 223. My Savage has a 1 in 9, Pauls VSSF will have 1 in 12.

The 1 in 9 appears able to take up to a 75gr bullet, the 1 in 12 some what less.

For the shooter who is only doing target shooting and is on a tight budget, what twist rate will be the most future proof?

A novice starting shooting the McQueens and other short range comps might choose a 1 in 12 twist but if they want to progess later to longer ranges they would need a tighter twist.

The main question is would a new shooter be best advised to buy a tighter twist to start with rather than upgrading later?

I personally favour getting a 1 in 9 to start with, hence my Savage but what does the panel think?

My Tikka M595 has a 1 in 12 twist and does everything I need and very very accurately. It does however top out at 55 grain bullets.

Having used it to shoot everything from 40 grain to 55 grain, I used to believe that there was no advantage in shooting under 55, as the trajectory of the 40 grain VMax up to 200 yards was almost exactly the same with the 40 as the 55's. Beyond 200 yards, the 55 grain bullets took over up to around 350 where the .223 with the 1 in 12 twist bottomed out. I'd say it's absolute max range on a very still day was 400 yards with the 55 grain bullets.

Given that a 1 in 9 twist will shoot 55 grain bullets as a minimum weight, there seemed to be no advantage in having the 1 in 12 twist over the 1 in 9....

Until I found the Berger Varmint Grenades in 36 grain (made from compressed powdered tin). The are almost the same length as the 55 grain VMax and shoot very well in my 1 in 12 rifle. Furthermore, they come out at over 4000 FPs, giving the trajectory of a laser up to around 250 yards.... A tighter twist might not cope with these.A .223 with a tight twist therefore could not give laser flat performance. I'm waiting for Gavin to test the 36 grain Varmint Grenades in his 1 in 9 twist Steyr but I very much doubt they'll shoot well or at all....

It comes down simply to whether you're shooting vermin or targets. A 1 in 9 twist will fulfill both disciplines but won't give the flat shooting I require for nigh time fox control where range estimation is an issue and the flatter trajectory is a huge advantage. A 1 in 12 twist rifle is hopeless beyond 350 yards and has a massive disadvantage for longer range target shooting.

Bullet technology is changing. Maybe soon it wont matter what the twist rate is, there will be a bullet that will fulfill all the requirements of a shooter regardless of the twist..

Robbie
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Keef » Sat May 10, 2008 9:13 am

I was discussing it with Pete Rogers as he has an unfilled slot on his ticket for a 223.

Pete is a target shooter only so while he will initially be shooting shorter ranges he might ultimately want to shoot much further, 600 yards or more.

Hence my belief that for him a starting point of 1 in 9 would be more future proof for him even though a 1 in 12 would suit him now.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby hungryrob » Sat May 10, 2008 9:25 am

Keef wrote:I was discussing it with Pete Rogers as he has an unfilled slot on his ticket for a 223.

Pete is a target shooter only so while he will initially be shooting shorter ranges he might ultimately want to shoot much further, 600 yards or more.

Hence my belief that for him a starting point of 1 in 9 would be more future proof for him even though a 1 in 12 would suit him now.

Gavin's 1 in 9 shoots extremely well with 55 grain VMax..

If it also shoots the 36 grain Varmint Grenade bullet (and I think it might) then it will be capable of everything from 36 to 75 grains which is awesome in my book.... I just can't see the point in the 1 in 12.

Robbie
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby davo601 » Sat May 10, 2008 2:59 pm

My 1-8, T3 shoots anything from 50gr to 75gr very accurately, techno blurb for it says it will handle up to 80gr, with that amount of choice there's a bullet weight for all occasions. 8-)
davo601
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Sat May 10, 2008 3:07 pm

Remind me to give you some varmint grenades Mark; I really need to find out if they shoot in a tight twist barrel.
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Beer Hunter » Sat May 10, 2008 3:25 pm

hungryrob wrote:Remind me to give you some varmint grenades Mark; I really need to find out if they shoot in a tight twist barrel.

I'd do it without the mod though - 4000 + fps with a tight twist like that may result in the thing coming apart.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby hungryrob » Sat May 10, 2008 3:28 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:
hungryrob wrote:Remind me to give you some varmint grenades Mark; I really need to find out if they shoot in a tight twist barrel.

I'd do it without the mod though - 4000 + fps with a tight twist like that may result in the thing coming apart.

Kev.

Good thinking batman :hmm:
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby RichardH » Sat May 10, 2008 10:53 pm

Personally if you have the choice I'd go 1/9 from the start.

It'll still shoot 50's but allow you to use VLD's or Sierra's if you wish later

The reverse isnt true so its pretty much a no lose gamble?

Richard
RichardH

Postby Guesty » Sun May 11, 2008 12:23 am

RichardH wrote:Personally if you have the choice I'd go 1/9 from the start.

It'll still shoot 50's but allow you to use VLD's or Sierra's if you wish later

The reverse isnt true so its pretty much a no lose gamble?

Richard

That's very true, but according to the the benchrest crowd, the most accurate bullet head is that which is only *just* stabilised. From that I can only summise that overstabilisation is less accurate.
I'm happy with a 1:12 for hunting where lighter heads help with flatter trajectory for varying range, but I think 1:9 must be superior for target shooting with heavier, higher BC heads that buck wind better for known ranges.
Guesty
Musketeer
Musketeer

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder