divine

Smith and Wesson model 52-2

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Smith and Wesson model 52-2

Postby Calfed » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:02 am

Last month I glommed something that has been on my wish list for a long time...A model 52. It landed at my FFL and I got a chance to look it over before it went into his safe for the mandatory 10 day "cooling-off" period. The Model 52 is a target pistol that fires .38 special wadcutter ammo. It is reputed to be amazingly accurate.

The auctioneer told me that it was in excellent shape and had been owned by a local collector who had passed away. After looking it over, I had to agree...

Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Smith and Wesson model 52-2

Postby flintlok » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Nice, that's and oldie. They're relatively rare. Nice catch. How is the trigger pull. I had a S&W Model 39 9mm and the pull was terrible, very long and mushy. It felt like I was shooting a revolver with a poor action.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:27 pm

flintlok wrote:Nice, that's and oldie. They're relatively rare. Nice catch. How is the trigger pull. I had a S&W Model 39 9mm and the pull was terrible, very long and mushy. It felt like I was shooting a revolver with a poor action.

Thanks, Flinty. The reason that it has been on my list for so long is that they are generally crazy expensive. I got a great deal on this one, with one caveat...it came with no magazines. I already had one magazine, and was able to get a great deal on two more at a different auction. Not coming with magazines may seem like a trivial thing, but the magazines are rare, expensive and hard to find. They usually run around $150 apiece on fleabay or gunbroker.

The trigger on this is great. The model 52 is a single action pistol, with a different trigger system than the 39. Long ago I had a 39 and agree with you about the trigger on it.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Born Again » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:12 pm

I had one of those, the trigger was the best on any pistol I have used. Mine loved 148grn wadcutters over 3.2 grn bullseye.

The magazines only hold 5 as standard, but filing the slot in the side a little longer and at a slight curve allows 6 .
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Calfed » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:45 am

I'll keep that load in mind, Born Again. I don't reload for pistols yet.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Coldfinger » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:27 pm

A semi-auto feeding wadcutters? Shows how much I don’t know about semi-autos :oops:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:14 pm

Coldfinger wrote:A semi-auto feeding wadcutters? Shows how much I don’t know about semi-autos :oops:

They aren't all that common, but I've also got a Colt 1911 National Match Mid-Rrange that also shoots .38 special wad cutters.

Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder