divine

mods?

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

mods?

Postby albob » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:43 am

i`m just getting into the hmr and just waiting for the fac certificate to come,so if my questions seemed strange,it is because i`m learning. :)
the whisper seems a tad expensive for my taste and was thinking of the sak or ase ultra.heard that size specific types control the sound better(not the crack of course),unless i`m mistaken.
ever tried the ase ultra or has anyone tried it?.
keep getting varying advice and seem to get confused.which some would say is easy to do for me. :lol:
any opinions welcome.
thanks
al
albob
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: mods?

Postby hungryrob » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 am

I've had an Utra and found them to be good but a damned nuisance to strip. I like end cans because I tend to be lazy at times and leave them on too long. Do this with a reflex type and you're gonna attract rust either to the mod or your barrel. If you're conscientious then the over barrel type have better weight distribution.

The SAK is a good little mod but not in my opinion suitable for HMR; you'll need something a little better built. I've already written one off.

The best moderator is a perfect compromise between weight and durability.

Most decent mods have little between them in terms or real noise reduction, at least in terms of hearing protection but there are huge differences in build quality and weight. Getting a quality mod which is also light and easy to strip and clean takes years of design and modification which is where the higher prices come in.

You pays yer money......
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:40 am

hungryrob wrote:...I like end cans because I tend to be lazy at times and leave them on too long. Do this with a reflex type and you're gonna attract rust either to the mod or your barrel...

Robbie,

While that is true with centerfire telescopic types, many telescopic rimfire models are open at the rear (no rear bush) and only the contact is the thread - so no chance of a rusty barrel.
The expansion chamber is of course enclosed.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby pisces » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:14 am

The baffles in a SAK are made from aluminium which are OK for sub-sonic 22LR but erode/burn when fitted to a 17HMR. If you use more than 2,000 rounds in the first two years then expect to make a warranty claim.
pisces

Postby albob » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:16 pm

thank you for your replies.
the shop that i`m going to get my hmr form,said the have the reflex type,whatever that is.? :?
this is taken from their website.
We are frequently asked which moderator is best for use with .17HMR rifles. We have supplied several types including reflex style which work well but we feel they are rather expensive for use with this calibre. We strongly recommend either the SAK which is available in black or silver for £30.00 or the slightly quieter ASE Utra at £65.00 This comes in a phosphated, parkerised finish.
UNQUOTE.

not been to the shop yet,just doing my reserach first,so that i do not get something that i will regret and have to replace.
cheers
al
albob
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder