divine

NiteSite NS200

NiteSite NS200

Postby Dagben77 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi Folks,

I have wanted a NS200 for about a year now and with the sale of my R10 done, I was at last (financially) in a position to buy one.

Sod's law. I rang all my local RFD's to find they either don't sell them or they were out of stock! Bugger.

I found an RFD in Cirencester that had them, so I went and picked it up that day. Just like to add that Cotswold Country Living were a pleasure to deal with.

Any way, on with the review.

I'm not going to go on about the supplied kit as this is available more visually elsewhere (the Tube etc.), however, I will add that they now supply a tinted screen cover which I will explain later.

As I have seen these being set up on many rifles before on various on-line video websites, so setting it up for the first time took less than 3 minutes, mating it to my CZ 452 22LR. The only thing I had to faff with is the focusing of the ocular camera which takes only seconds. After I was happy with my set up, I packed it away and headed out to one of my permissions. I'm using a budget scope on the CZ at the moment which is the Hawke Eclipse 3-12x50 AO IR.

Setting up in the dark is a doddle (although it was full moon), especially when you leave the mounting bracket on your scope : ). Within minutes, I was up and running and had the company of one of my work colleagues with me to spectate.

I switched on the NS200 and within minutes spotted a rabbit at about 70 yards out. Crept in another 20 yards, got comfy with a kneeling shot and bang! My mate wasn't convinced I got it (he was using my Bresser NV monocular) and when we walked up to where the rabbits was, bingo! There he was. precise clean head shot.

10 minutes later we spotted another 2 rabbits feeding, out at what I thought was about 75 yards. I get prone for this one, take a breath and bang. Once again, bingo! This time I paced it out and was actually 87 (ish) yards. but still somehow a clean headshot!?!

All in all very impressed with the NS200.

The Bad points!!!

Whilst spotting, 3x magnification is great and picks up a lot of detail, however, when you zoom in to a higher mag, the light transmitted through is reduced heavily and I'm not convinced I have the focus quite right on the NS200. I don't think this reduction in quality is purely down to the NS200, but may be a result of me using a lower end scope, but just something you need to be prepared for all the same. For you boys and girls have S&B's, Zeiss or Leupold's this may improve things.

The shooting position hasn't been a problem for me apart from my arms tiring quite early on and having to try a variety of grips to prevent further fatigue. To be fair though, as my permission is so quiet, I have to do a lot of walking to find anything. The rifle still fit on my shoulder with it's sling just fine without any problems of knocking screen and cameras off :)

The screen glare is immense when on full power! My natural night vision isn't great and whilst looking at a hugely bright screen for more than a few seconds, I can't see much else immediately afterwards. To help remedy this, NiteSite are now supplying a screen filter which works a treat. It's nice to see a manufacturer listening to their customers as I know there have been comments about this previously.

Clicky rotary power switch. It has a 6 position switch starting off with screen only with 4 subsequent IR power output modes. I found I had it on IR no 2 (out of 4) most of the time as I could see a healthy 80-90 yards along hedgerows etc.
The problem with this switch is that it's too bloody loud! To return the NS200 to the desired setting from off, the switch would need to click 3 times, which is really annoying. I'm sure there could be another way. I read somewhere that someone had used an inline rocker type switch on the 12v power lead.

The worst thing about my nights experience with the NS200 has to be the wiring harness at the battery end. Cheap or brittle cables. In the first night of use (1 hour), the cable to the positive spade connector snapped of without (knowingly) subjecting it to any great force. Whilst trying to make a connection with what was left of the cable, the other end of the cable inside the fuse holder then also snapped! Bugger. So that halted my nights shooting! I will contact NiteSite for a replacement but as it's Christmas and they are on holiday, I crimped some new connections on for the time being. All is good again. I will just add that these cables at the battery end are the only ones that appear to be of anything other than great quality. The rest of the unit is very well made and put together, even the annoying clicky switch feels quality, just bloody noisy.

To sum up, despite the niggles, I have spotted foxes at 185 yards on 3x scope mag using a lower end scope with no problems whatsoever. Used 2 rounds to bag 2 rabbits within the first 15 minutes of me leaving my car and my permission isn't particularly busy with rabbits. In fact most nights I go out there, I draw a blank and come home pee'd off.

If you were at all tempted and have the money, GET ONE!!! They're great.

Hope you found this useful.
Dagben77
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: NiteSite NS200

Postby Triffid » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for the write-up Ben, good review.
Did you look at any other similar set-ups (eg Night eye 500) before getting the NS200?

Shame they haven't got the wiring harness right. I hate those crimped connectors and tend to resolder everything so I know it's solid. I've no idea what connectors the NS uses, but I've been using the 1/4" headphone jacks ( as supplied by Cluson/Nightsearcher) for years now and like them so much I've replaced any other power connectors on my lamping etc rigs with them.

Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Other Shooting Kit