divine

GLOP - BP lube

GLOP - BP lube

Postby TheSquire » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:43 pm

As I received a couple of tins of GLOP as a free sample from JD Reloading following their introductory post, I thought it fair to write a quick review of it.

GLOP is a lubricant for use in blackpowder firearms and so far it has performed well. It is usable in a range of temperatures, not too hard when cold and so far has done OK when its warmed up a bit too. I have problem with some lubes melting on a warm range day, like butter in the sun, but I don't think this will do in the same way. I coated some lead balls with it and they did aid loading a little and cleaning was certainly easy. In a .36 bp rifle I used it as a patch lube and again it aided loading and the usual sooty residue was easy to clean afterwards. I have used it to seal the chambers on a bp revolver and it covered the chamber fairly well but lacked the bulk of other lubes I've used and wasn't as easy to use, but I guess this may not be its primary role.

I am not someone who makes his own bullet lube and I haven't used many commercially bought ones, but GLOP did what it was supposed to do well and it even smells quite nice. It is very greasy and unless you are careful can leave your hands slippery. I always have a rag to wipe my hands on when blackpowder shooting and I did need it with this. Would I buy it? Yes probably, providing the postage costs weren't prohibitive.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: GLOP - BP lube

Postby thibben » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Squire,

What form does GLOP come in? Do you knoewif it is suitable for BPCR's i.e. filling cannulars in cast boolits?

I have in the past made my own bullet lube and used a few commercial lubes, always ended up back with SPG. But only seem to get this in the US, perhaps GLOP will be an alternative when my current stock runs out?

Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Re: GLOP - BP lube

Postby TheSquire » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:23 pm

GLOP is a Vaseline type lube. I am not sure if it is viscous enough for what you suggest, the lube for that job I have seen before is more waxy than GLOP.
Jon from JD Reloading has some excellent samples I am sure you can try. I haven't shot BPCR and the bullet heads I get are always pre-lubed.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Other Shooting Kit