divine

Le Chameau Jameson GTX Zip Boots

Le Chameau Jameson GTX Zip Boots

Postby Tommo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Let me get this review underway by stating that, in my nearly 63 years, I have worn all manner of 'country' footwear. Some of it good, a lot of it bad with a smidgin of indifferent thown in for good measure. From Brasher's, Black's to Dunlop, Hunter et al I have worn the lot - and it would be remiss of me not to include those doyen of military issue, both DMS and the infamous 'Ammo' boots (13 steel studs on a leather sole and a steel 'horseshoe' around the heel...!!!!).

Now a few years back I bought, on the spur of the moment, a pair of Jack Pyke boots from Amazon. They looked like they could take a beating and, at £76.00, they were a descent price. I wasn't wrong and the boots, I still have, are comfortable and tick a lot of boxes for me. However.. with advancing years I began to get somewhat fed up lacing these boots; ski hook after ski hook to run the laces around, getting the tongue sat properly etc., etc.

So I began to think about something else, something that would be as versatile as a welly, as comfortable as a pair of slippers, and providing me with the necessary level of both warmth and grip. Now I'd seen the 'new kid on the block' in the form of the DuBarry collection of boots and, whilst no doubt effective, you still have to pull them on and wrap trouser legs tight in order to get them on. Nice but I wanted something with a zip... something easy on, easy off.

Then I discovered the Le Chameau Jameson GTX zip...

Strangely enough my first encounter with the GTX was when we were on a break in the Lakes. No trip up there is complete for me without a visit to John Norris in Penrith and there I saw my first GTX boots in the flesh. Dare I say it was love at first sight. Sadly, at the time, I was unable to afford the boots but, as luck would have it, my 60th birthday was on the horizon and I 'negotiated' with the Revd Mrs Tommo to split the cost.

And so, on the 10th October 2011, I opened the large green box containing my brand new GTX boots and there's hardly been a day since that I haven't worn them. They are the ultimate in comfortable yet sturdy, waterproof footwear. They will carry you where'er you choose to go and in no matter what conditions. They are so warm that I have never worn anything other than summer weight socks - admittedly knee length to avoid the leather gusset chaffing the outside of the calf muscle. Grip is, as I say, excellent and the zip is good and sturdy even though it is plastic/nylon.

The foot and heel of the boot is polished leather which will return to a shine after a wipe over and an application of some polish. The shaft of the boot is nubuck and is quite impervious to most country 'muck'. Just needing a wipe over.

I'm not sure if it's an Army thing, but I have almost a fetish for CLEAN footwear. I hate seeing dirty shoes/boots and when I meet someone for the first time it's their footwear and the state of it I notice first... That said I have been able to maintain a descent looking but perfectly performing pair of boots. But time's winged chariot moves on and I'm fast approaching the time when I'll need to get them re-soled so, as an investment for the future, I have today taken delivery of a brand new pair. These will stay in their box until the original pair are too far gone, something which I feel will be a long way off.

I pull no punches when it comes to footwear, I always buy the best I can. I don't have a bottomless bank account but I will sacrifice other bits of kit if it gets me the footwear I want. We have but one pair of feet, abuse them at your peril. Without mobility all our preparations for the rabbit or deer, pigeon or pheasant hut come to nothing.

The initial cost of the boots was around £335 and the new ones I got for the same price. You may think it a steep price to pay.. I just divide the cost by the number of days I have worn them.. so far it works out at less than 70p a day.

Gentlemen, I commend to you the Le Chameau Jameson GXT boot. God Bless 'em and all who walk (tall) in them.

Original boots..

DSC_0920.JPG

Re-soled boots..

DSC_1050.JPG

Excellent re-sole job. These are my original pair and will last a long while. :grin: :thup: :thup: :thup:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: Le Chameau Jameson GTX Zip Boots

Postby Tommo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:37 am

UPDATE...

Just got my old Le Chameau's back from Lancashire Sport Repairs (Burnley) [LSR] and I have to say that I am over the moon with the quality of work. A new full Brasher sole married perfectly to the upper. Good solid footbed and sole beneath your feet but with all the benefits of a worn in upper. Superb. Seems that Brasher only recommend two firms, one being LSR. But they do all makes of boots..

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/

Boots collected Tuesday by FedEx and back to me today, by FedEx. Only £21.00 for the collection/delivery costs. If you have serious boots then I would certainly suggest these people to resole/repair them.

Can't add a pic... :roll: :cry:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Keef » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:35 am

Hot news - Forum member admits to a footwear fetish! :) :)

I agree about footwear comfort though, all of my shoes are Clarkes, I haven't bought anything else in years plus they last a long time.

I've had Hunter wellies in the past (almost compulsory Army Officer wear) but when I holed them a while back I bought some Barbour wellies. Quite comfortable but I made the mistake of not getting them with a zip!

I do have a pair of Barbour semi high top lace up boots that are nubuck topped with a rubber molded sole and toe. The only problem is they are strictly very cold weather wear as they are so warm!

As I no longer hunt these do not get much wear however my standard wear at the club is a pair of Brasher hiking boots, gortex with a Vibram type sole, warm and dry.

Ref the ammo boots Tommo, if you'd bought a pair and had them doubled soled they would have held you up and stopped you swaying after the odd tot!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Shootist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 am

I do recall well the ammunition boots, issued for RAF apprentices during my time there. They were unremarkable until sent for their first repair. As Keef says, double soled they became an impressive aid to staying upright. For those faint of heart, like me, you requested no studs or heel plate. The studded version was death on polished floors, and everything at the camp was polished. Even the air! You also had to scrub off the bull before sending them for repair, as the repairs were carried out at the local prison, and bulled boots would often be returned gouged to hell. The thing is, once you were used to them, which took a while, they were comfortable.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby testie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Is here anyone who can translate the complete text of this website? Dutch is not my best language :)

http://www.livingoutside.nl/le-chameau/
testie

hunting Boots, good info

Postby howard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:40 pm

howard

Return to Outdoor Clothing