divine

Shooting holiday in S.W.Scotland

Need some help on an existing permission? Here's the place to ask!

Shooting holiday in S.W.Scotland

Postby Scottish Canadian » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 pm

I am planning a visit back to Scotland to visit family and would like to tie it in with a few days shooting birds. I have not shot driven or walked up birds since I was boy in the Kirkcudbright area and would like to experience this once more. I am far from wealthy but would consider an exchange or barter of some sort if anyone is interested in a trip out to Canada to spend some time in the Rockies when I head out in the fall hunting. I am curious as to the legalities of a forigen visitor being allowed to shoot and the paper work on the U.K. end that may be involved. I may be able to scrounge up a shotgun when there but again there may be restrictions I am unaware of. Also what would a fair price be to spend three or four day on a rough shoot and what would one expect for a days bag. Any advise that forum members are able to provide would be of great help in my planning. Best Regards S.C.
Last edited by Scottish Canadian on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottish Canadian

Re: Shooting holidaay in S.W.Scotland

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:15 am

Scottish Canadian wrote:I am planning a visit back to Scotland to visit family and would like to tie it in with a few days shooting birds. I have not shot driven or walked up birds since I was boy in the Kirkcudbright area and would like to experience this once more. I am far from wealthy but would consider an exchange or barter of some sort if anyone is interested in a trip out to Canada to spend some time in the Rockies when I head out in the fall hunting. I am curious as to the legalities of a forigen visitor being allowed to shoot and the paper work on the U.K. end that may be involved. I may be able to scrounge up a shotgun when there but again there may be restrictions I am unaware of. Also what would a fair price be to spend three or four day on a rough shoot and what would one expect for a days bag. Any advise that forum members are able to provide would be of great help in my planning. Best Regards S.C.

the type of "bird shooting" you mention is seasonal,so it really depends on when you intend to visit although don`t discount pigeon shooting which runs all year :thup:
as regards using a shotgun,unless you are a convicted serial killer (only joking) the laws on this in the UK are quite relaxed and it would be ok to use a borrowed gun in the presence of the owner
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:08 am

Check out this website ayrstalk.co.uk I know it says stalking but he can organise any sort of shooting for you in season, plus he has accommodation on site or camping at reasonable prices at his place in Ayrshire. Contact him on chris@ayrstalk.co.uk, he's an old shooting buddy/school chum of mine, and has what we call estate guns, which means you wouldn't have the hassle of bringing your own guns through customs :grin: . I'm sure he'll be able to do something for you. :thup:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Scottish Canadian » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks for the information I shall follow up on your link, Regards S.C.
Scottish Canadian

Re: Shooting holiday in S.W.Scotland

Postby tignme » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Pm me your visit times and i may have some pigeon shooting available,or maybe a Roe stalk. No charge and use of my guns ,only condition you need shooting insurance (SACS). Barry
tignme
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tignme » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Pm me your visit times and i may have some pigeon shooting available,or maybe a Roe stalk. No charge and use of my guns ,only condition you need shooting insurance (SACS). Barry Im on the West coast of Scotland
tignme
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 am

tignme wrote:Pm me your visit times and i may have some pigeon shooting available,or maybe a Roe stalk. No charge and use of my guns ,only condition you need shooting insurance (SACS). Barry Im on the West coast of Scotland

Smashing offer that mate :grin: :thup:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter