divine

Lamping tips please

Anything air rifle related

Re: Lamping tips please

Postby Linegeist » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:51 pm

Like you Dave, I use a Logun lamp - no filters, but I retrofitted a dimmmer switch for the twitchier bunnies. :) I've also used the aforementioned backlight system .... but not out here - yet!
.........und die power wird mit dir sein.........

Feror cupidine partium interdum Europae vincendarum magnarum
I get this urge to conquer parts of Europe and, sometimes, large men
Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Punchsteve's neighbour ........ on glorious Anglesey!

Postby Gary C » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 am

Hmmm .. I find the Logun lamps way underpowered.

I have a couple of Deben lamps if anybody wants one?
Gary C
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member

Postby robgal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:10 am

Gary C wrote:Hmmm .. I find the Logun lamps way underpowered.

How much you looking for them mate?
robgal
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Born Again » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Gary C wrote:Hmmm .. I find the Logun lamps way underpowered.

I'm interested in one too, as soon as the ClimateCamp people bugger off from Kingsnorth, Alan108 and I are going to hit the bunnies there. I'm looking for a long range kit, the farm is 700+ acres and FAC cleared.

If they're already gone, is there one you would recommend for longer ranges ?
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Gary C » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:31 pm

For longer ranges I'd bite the bullet and but a Lightforce TBH, I have 2 which is why these are going, but the Tracer Atom and Max are excellent for airgun ranges. I am not going to sell them as they were given to me for review by Deben. Bob has reserved the Max but if anybody is going to MGF and can pick up you can have the Atom for a donation to Stoke Mandeville in Deben's name.
Gary C
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member

Postby MylesR » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi there,
I’ve got a Cluson light. It’s 2 mill candle power which is good for long range stuff on the .17HMR and std red lens but for closer stuff with air rifle or using rimmies, I swap to a shootalite red lens. Cuts the light down to about 80 yards or so and very tight beam. The heat does build up rapidly so I keep it on with the Shootalite for only 5 or so seconds – more than enough time. The other thing with the red shootalite lens is they tend to just sit there, very obliging if you ask me!
MylesR
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby R P McMurphy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Ive not got the Logun lamp myself either now :grin: Don't ask :(
R P McMurphy
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Born Again » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:16 pm

I've had a look, the Lightforce range look good, what do you think about the Lance Variable Power ? Is the Blitz worth the extra ? Bear in mind that Alan has a .223 and a hornet.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Gary C » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:52 pm

I have the strikers - they are bright enough with a filter
Gary C
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member

Postby Rgrc29 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:14 am

Good luck to you,

I've got this great little surefire/ultrafire lamp, mounts off my scope with a pressure switch along the barrel, very light and compact, good for a nights bunny/rat bashing.
Managed to get it all for about £20 with 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and charger off ebay.

I think most tips have been covered, the little LED headtorch is a handy thing, great for seeing what your doing and finding things, just remember to turn it off when actually stalking!
Rgrc29
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby jamie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:07 am

i use to find the deben mini pro with dimmer good for lamping with the air rifle. turn it up full with red fillter for scaning about for rabbits. then dim it when your moving in on them :thup:

what me and my cousin found well as we use to shoot with each other was he had the mini pro on his rifle and got the deben maxi. i used that for scanning to and then he would use the mini pro when we where closer. its allways good to have that bit more range also.

now i use the lightforce 170 for the rimfire and centrefire
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby stillair1 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Gary C wrote:Hi Dave

The best way is simple common sense.

Don't come down on the rabbit, if it spooks it will bolt for it's hole. Come slowly from the hedge out to the rabbit, it will tend NOT to run through the beam

atb

gary

Never to old to learn another tip, will try that variation out Gary. When I used to go lamping with a mate, he was very concious to keep the lamp tight to the limit of our weapons rather than scan the field in one hit. Since moved to the dark side of nv, but will try this out in combo with a yukon ranger. :)
Neil
stillair1
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Andy.I » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:06 pm

I've been through dozens of lamps over the years, and I've possibly forgotten a lot of the features and attributes, but here's what I remember and what has struck me as good enough to keep. There's a trade-off between the size of the reflector: the bigger it is, the better the quality of the beam, generally speaking and the smaller it is, the less the wind catches it and blows you about off aim.

For foxing or running dogs the Deben Tracer Max is excellent, good penetration, good beam quality and it's not too heavy and it's tough. It's also small enough not to act like a sail when you're shooting in a wind, which is one criticism I have of the Lightforce 170, along with its beam quality not being as good.

For air rifle use I think the Deben Mini Pro is an excellent choice, although the red filter is flimsy and leaks white light.

My favourite for air rifle work is a Gunlamp 400, in a modified state. I removed the coiled lead and switch (which weighed almost as much as the lamp itself) and replaced it with a Deben dimmer switch and cable. This now has the penetration to see where bunnies are on an East Anglian prairie, a good enough beam quality and it's as light and tough as anything in the business.

For shooting in enclosed areas and on small fields where you might know exactly where your prey is, the Tracer Atom, Logun and Nite Hunter might suffice; I've owned them but they weren't for me. I also find stock-mounted batteries a solution looking for a problem to solve; they put weight where you don't want it and the power is limited, and there's a price penalty. I find it far better to carry a small SLA in a pocket or cartridge bag.

Something I haven't tried yet are these new LED lamps like Deben's LEDRay or Tracer Stinger. If they really do the business I'll probably go for one as they are so small, but while I've lashed out 50 or 70 quid out of curiosity in the past, I've got things that work to my complete satisfaction at the moment so I'll wait until I see one in action first. :)
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby VanGogh76 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:16 am

Carry a small torch with you and make sure you know the area, I fell down a rabbit hole the other night, my mate was laughing at me so much that about 10 seconds later he fell down the next one :shock: - suffice to say we scared the bunnies for most of the night through colourful language and a bit of excessive torch use!!!
VanGogh76
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Previous

Return to Airguns and FAC air