divine

Air Arms TX200 cocking

Anything air rifle related

Air Arms TX200 cocking

Postby subbyc » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:40 am

Hi guys,
just got hold of an air arms TX200 mk2 in .22 It has been a bit bashed around the woodwork and the blue is pitted, and wearing on the cocking handle. Otherwise seems to be ok. The problem I have is that when I have cocked the tx, I push the anti bear trap catch to close the port and it either won't do it or the rifle de-cocks itself. Has anyone else had this problem and if so was it a part that was faulty or needing adjustment or am I doing something wrong?

any help would be appreciated.... :cry:
centre fire
shotgun
rimfire
black powder
air

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory
subbyc
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Air Arms TX200 cocking

Postby Coldfinger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 am

At least you are not alone in that, mine does it sometimes. I just pull the lever all the way back a couple of times then it catches correctly and releases. I've not been that bothered by it but if someone has a solution then I'll go for it.
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby subbyc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 am

Coldfinger wrote:At least you are not alone in that, mine does it sometimes. I just pull the lever all the way back a couple of times then it catches correctly and releases. I've not been that bothered by it but if someone has a solution then I'll go for it.

tried it again today and found that if I cock it then give it an extra click it works fine.
centre fire
shotgun
rimfire
black powder
air

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory
subbyc
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Alan B » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi, Just bought Air arms Tx 200 Hc the bear trap seems a little problematic some times it jams and de cocks the gun if you tap it once it's ok but if you hold it down it de cocks the gun with a pellet still in the breach. Has anyone else had this problem this is a brand new gun "worried" someone said they had deactivated the bear trap safety switch "how do you do that" and is it advisable ? in other words will it cut my thumb off. With the reputation that Air Arms have you should not have to fiddle around with the gun before you shoot it, if your hunting you've missed the shot anyone else got any ideas.
:?:
Alan B
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Keef » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:55 am

If the rifle is new, it's under warranty and you should take it back to the shop.

This may be inconvenient to you but if you mess with it yourself the warranty will be void. Prior to this you could try some thin oil in the bear trap and trigger mech.

The bear trap can be disengaged by removing it and putting the spring in the opposite end however the safe opertaion of the gun is then totally dependent on the gun cocking on the trigger mech. As you have already seen it can decock itself and if it does it when you are loading a pellet in the breech you'll be minus a thumb.

I have a TX (somewhere) and when I used it I held the bear trap in when I cocked it to take away the noise, released it when the rifle was cocked and then held the underlever back under tension when my fingers were in the breech area.

Remember, what can go wrong invariably will so mitigate the possible damage to yourself.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Alan B » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Sounds like good advise to me many thanks Keef. will try a little oil on the beartrap safety switch and if that dont work she's goin back.
For me when it does'nt cock properly its not latching onto the seer and this could be dangerous if it jumps off while loading and no bear trap safety to stop it. For a gun that is supposed to be the best you can buy in the spring range not to impressed so far and i have told Air Arms this: Made in England (what a joke) Japan would have been better.
Alan B
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Alan B » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Just oiled the rear trigger safety catch "Grease causing it to stick" new gun, if this catch is not "Fully" out it causes the gun to miss cock as the safety catch is not fully out, a few pulls back on the cocking lever gradualy works it out and your good to go. Another thing if you touch the safety with your thumb whilst cocking the gun this can also result in the gun de-cocking itself when the bear trap is released. Tricky bugger but got there in the end. Having said this i think there is a serious design fault with the trigger block on both the TX200's & the Pro Sport models. The safety catch does not always return to the "Full" safety position (all the way out) and this is what causes the problem. I have tried to find a full strip down manual for these guns but they only go as far as the spring and piston replacement, the trigger block is left out as it would be a more complicated job to strip down and put back together way beyond the normal capabilities of the owner. I think Air arms are well aware of this problem and have chosen to do nothing as it would meen a recall of every gun sold as this is an inherant fault with the trigger block.
Alan B
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby axelcharles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:53 am

the best answer found to solve this problem which still being done by air arms now july 2013!! is the following}

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=5724

"It seem that a lot of people have trouble getting the safety on a TX200 to re-set, I have also had this problem and it is annoying, so I decided to have a look at the problem. The safety works by blocking the shear lever from moving when the trigger is pulled, to fire the gun you must push in the safety and squeeze the trigger, so far so good. Now you need to re-cock the gun for the next shot, in performing this task the piston and latching button is pushed back into the trigger unit, first re-setting the latch for holding the piston and spring ready for the next shot, next the latching button must carry on and move the shear .lever out of the way of the safety, to allow it to re-set. When all this is done your ready for your next shot. So the problem seems to be that the cocking system is running out of puff by the time it get to re-setting the safety, so the general idea is to snap the cocking lever back to get the safety set. This may be all right but I don’t think it does the gun any good getting this rough treatment. I appears that the tolerances used by AA when building the trigger unit are not good enough to make all guns work the same, so they use an optimum setting that suits all guns some better than others, on my gun I needed 0.015” on top of the shear to get the clearance for the safety to reset smoothly. [quote][/quote]To do this I soldered on a 0.015” brass plate on top on the reset part of the Shear, I made it L shaped to give it more area to hold it to the shear, so far this as worked well with no problems and the safety works very smoothly every time."
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=5724
axelcharles

Postby leadpig » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:20 pm

:shock: :shock:
Attachments
dig.jpeg
dig.jpeg (10.71 KiB) Viewed 11056 times
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Airguns and FAC air