divine

Airgun licensing WILL take place in this parliament

Anything air rifle related

Re: Airgun licensing WILL take place in this parliament

Postby Fenrir » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 am

The apposite word is control, it does no matter what it is but the state and the supporters of the big state need to have control over it nd not the individual.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bedwards1966 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Fedaykin wrote:I am slightly dubious about the £50 a year fee quoted, that figure as a one off for five years is more believable. If it is true it would kill Airgun's as an industry and a sport in this country! For that cost I would just sell up my old air rifle albeit it would be virtually worthless due to everybody else doing the same thing! Of course as mentioned the Chavs with their cheap springers shooting dogs and baby's wouldn't bother. They would effectively make it more costly to shoot a far less powerful gun!

I see no reason to disbelieve the £50 per year figure. There have been proposals to drastically increase the cost of shotgun and firearm certificates to 'cover costs' - so if you were bringing in a new system for air-guns you would easily be able to charge the full amount of the estimated costs. Anybody who argues is told it's for public safety. They also don't 'have' to have one if they don't like it. They'll be told the taxpayer should not have to subsidize people owning these 'lethal weapons'.

So what if it kills off air-gunning? As there is no proper reason to introduce this system, and there is no reason to think it will increase public safety, you either have to take the view that the government simply doesn't care about air-gunning, or even that it wants air-gunning to die. Whichever it is, they aren't going to care how much they charge for it.
bedwards1966
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Fedaykin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Hmmmm I am still not sure about £50 a year sounds like a mistake to me but heck nothing will entirely surprise me these days. It would effectively make it cheaper to licence a .50 cal HME rifle over five years then a .177 air rifle looking aside from the obvious gun purchase cost difference. :grin:

Increase of overall licencing fee is certainly on the cards ACPO have been making the sounds, over five years I wouldn't be so bothered if there was the requisite improvement of service. Frankly some forces are taking the pee with the time they take to do even simple tasks so any cost rise has to be matched by improved performance.

As for air rifle licencing it might sound nice to the SNP rabble at conference but we all no it will be an unworkable mess that will criminalise people who have never fallen fowl of the law before! Going on the unaccounted Brocock how do they hope to persuade the owners of cheap break barrel Chinese air rifles to stump up the fees to licence them go through the process in general, or even fill in the form!

If you look at my signature I have a Weihrauch HW97K, an early model with what I feel is the stylistically nicer and safer short under-leaver (see pic below), I think the later model with the extended under-leaver looks ugly but apparently I am in a minority :razz: . I still own it due the sentimental value as it is the first gun I ever purchased. Nevertheless if I had to pay £50 A YEAR to keep it on a certificate I would reluctantly let it go, not because I couldn't afford it but because I think that is an absurd amount to pay when actually it shouldn't cost anything IMHO!

P.S. not my actual rifle it is easier to link to a general picture ;)
WEIHRAUCH HW97K .22
BSA Lee Enfield No.4 MK1 .303
CSA Sa vz.58 .223
Fedaykin
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Retracted_Yeti » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:06 am

Quote"£50 for a year!!! That is shocking, our FAC's cost around the same for 5 years. Those who want an air rifle would be better applying for an FAC!!"

So I can use FAC air for plinking in my back garden? :Facepalm:

Cheers.

Roy.
Retracted_Yeti

Postby leadpig » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Retracted_Yeti wrote:Quote"£50 for a year!!! That is shocking, our FAC's cost around the same for 5 years. Those who want an air rifle would be better applying for an FAC!!"

So I can use FAC air for plinking in my back garden? :Facepalm:

Cheers.

Roy.

yes if, you have open ticket,you own the land,you write yourself a permision :lol: ,you have just reason,and the bullet does not leave your property :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:30 pm

bedwards1966 wrote:
I see no reason to disbelieve the £50 per year figure. There have been proposals to drastically increase the cost of shotgun and firearm certificates to 'cover costs' - so if you were bringing in a new system for air-guns you would easily be able to charge the full amount of the estimated costs. Anybody who argues is told it's for public safety. They also don't 'have' to have one if they don't like it. They'll be told the taxpayer should not have to subsidize people owning these 'lethal weapons'.

they are rising the costs over here alarmingly :thdn:
a variation used to be £28 two years ago,it is now £68
a shotgun cert.regulated used to be £55 it is now £110 and going up again(we need one of these for sub 12 fpe airguns over here)
to make it worse,they nearley halfed the hours the firearms team are allowed to work,so it is hard to even talk to them if you are working :thdn:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby huntersvermin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Got this yesterday

Date: 28 Mar 2014 10:33
Subject: Update about 'Scottish Government: To drop all proposals to licence airguns in Scotland' on Change.org

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the lack of updates in recent weeks. It would appear that Kenny MacAskill has his hands full with trying to do away with corroboration in the Scottish Justice system so his attempt to licence airguns would appear to be on the back burner just now. The threat is still there however with recent comments from the SSPCA trying to push for it to go through.

As some of you may know the organisation Firearms UK was formed after the popularity of this campaign. The aim was to continue positive action and encouraging greater teamwork within the shooting community.

Firearms UK has now created a new campaign entitled unity and is running a petition to HM Government to allow .22 rimfire pistols to be owned for competitive target shooting once more.

Although this petition is .22 rimfire pistols and these will not interest everyone the key word of the campaign is unity. I ask everyone who has signed this petition to continue working together and to also sign the firearms UK petition. We have a chance of making history with this and it will no doubt facilitate further positive change that will let us lobby for fairer gun laws in the UK.

Please visit this page for information on the Unity campaign http://firearmsuk.org/unity/

for a direct link to the petition please click below
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62588

We need 10,000 signatures for a response and 100,000 to achieve debate in parliament. Firearms enthusiasts are over 1.5 million strong in the UK.

Let us all stand together and fight for our sports and hobbies/

Thank you.
huntersvermin
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby leadpig » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:40 pm

aye i got that yesterday as well

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Fly shooter » Thu May 15, 2014 2:10 pm

It would appear that this hasn't gone away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27420858

Just further evidence if required that the administration doesn't work for the majority. And another reason to vote NO to these idiots. This will just be the start of it.
Ian

Beretta 692 12g
Beretta 687sport 12g
Air Arms S510 .22
Fly shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Airguns and FAC air