divine

Airgun licensing WILL take place in this parliament

Anything air rifle related

Airgun licensing WILL take place in this parliament

Postby Beer Hunter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Just today a very good and reliable source told me that the feared airgun licencing scheme is going to take place in Scotland before the next elections. This source, who will remain nameless, has taken part in several meetings with the relevant authorities discussing this.
The current proposal is for a shotgun type certificate (i.e. no need for good reason, no limit on gun numbers etc), but at a cost of £50 per year! :shock:

England and Wales will surely follow.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Re: Airgun licensing WILL take place in this parliament

Postby mr smith » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Funny you should post this,i heard something similar today........ :grin:

And what are the chances the muppets will part with £50 a year........................ :roll:
Dundee rifle and pistol club
mr smith
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Photoguy2910 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Once again, the folk that are honest will pay up and the scrotes will just keep on as they are... :roll:

Just a thought, if they go on ticket, does that then mean there will be no sub 12ft/lbs rules???
Last edited by Photoguy2910 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photoguy2910
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 1066 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm

mr smith wrote:Funny you should post this,i heard something similar today........ :grin:

And what are the chances the muppets will part with £50 a year........................ :roll:

What's the chance of 87% not even knowing the law has changed - There's still plenty of folk who don't know that the air-cartridge type airguns are illegal. The first they will know about it is when they get nicked and their gun scrapped. :(
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Postby Keef » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:37 pm

If the Scottish Parliament bring it in, the British Government will have to follow suit as it will be impossible to have two different licensing systems separated only by a line on the map.

When they put the Brocock type guns on S5 FAC they estimate that only 7,000 of the 60,000 guns sold were accounted for. That's about 88% unaccounted for.

The estimate is that there are 4,000,000 plus airguns in the UK so if it comes in that'll make over 3,500,000 people criminals.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Yessir » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Photoguy2910 wrote:
Just a thought, if they go on ticket, does that then mean there will be no sub 12ft/lbs rules???

Dream on ;) . That didn’t happen here anyway, same cert as your shotgun one has crossbows, sub12ft.lb air rifles, and sub 6ft.lb air pistols on them here. And any chav can still buy them, and pellets, privately in the UK and have them posted to their home without any of our Islands authorities ever knowing :roll: .

One things for sure, especially at £50 a year for a license, air gun crime certainly won't be going down if it goes through :thdn: . Its just beyond belief that they think all the cat and toddler shooting chav's will actually go out and get a license for their piece’s of shit break barrel springers :roll: , even if it was free!, but for £50 a year that is just laughable :thdn: . The only people who will go along with it are the law abiding majority who cause no problems anyway, and it will be all their guns the goverment will be able to take as a next worthless step after the stupid licensing system will so obviously fail.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Fenrir » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:45 pm

At £50 a year this is more about income than it is about public safety.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:56 am

The £50/year aspect is a disgrace!

However, something good could (SHOULD) come out of the muted licensing system. The wording in the Law relating to the power levels of non-FAC air guns, surely, will have to altered? The word "capable" will have to be removed, or licences will be granted for air guns that are, effectively, illegal :? For example, how many AA200's S400's etc are NOT easily capable of exceeding 12fpe? More worrying, how many PCP pistols are NOT capable of producing in excess of 6fpe? How many PCP's, generally, are NOT capable of exceeding the relevant power limit?

I just hope that our shooting associations are not going to lose this opportunity to make representations about the "c" word.
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 am

Yessir wrote:Dream on ;) . That didn’t happen here anyway, same cert as your shotgun one has crossbows, sub12ft.lb air rifles, and sub 6ft.lb air pistols on them here. And any chav can still buy them, and pellets, privately in the UK and have them posted to their home without any of our Islands authorities ever knowing :roll: .

One things for sure, especially at £50 a year for a license, air gun crime certainly won't be going down if it goes through :thdn: . Its just beyond belief that they think all the cat and toddler shooting chav's will actually go out and get a license for their piece’s of shit break barrel springers :roll: , even if it was free!, but for £50 a year that is just laughable :thdn: . The only people who will go along with it are the law abiding majority who cause no problems anyway, and it will be all their guns the goverment will be able to take as a next worthless step after the stupid licensing system will so obviously fail.

yes it will,it wont stop crime but it Will lower it,infact it will make it harder to get pellets over here as they will be harder to get in the uk ;)
most people are not going to risk their airguns getting confiscated just for supplying a tin of pellets,and the ones without a license are going to find it hard to get pellets in the first place.
it did work over here,when was the last time you heard of a airgun crime over here :hmm:,and before you say anything it used to be bad in the80's/ 90's .
is it fair that the law abiding have to pay..........NO
is it better than having airguns banned..........YES
suck it up,it was always going to happen,but complaining wont stop it :thdn:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby raygun » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:38 am

Sounds fair :grin:

Shotgun Licence £50 for 5 years.
Sub 12FPE airgun licence £250 for 5 years.
FAC £50 for 5 years.

It will be interesting to see how they are going to establish the demarcation line between airsoft and air. It would have to be a legal demarcation or all airsoft and toy guns will be brought into the legislation.
At the other end of the scale the curent legislation that sets the demarcation between sub 12FPE and FAC is not fit for purpose ar all airguns are currently "Capable". The demarcation will have to be set in law as Holyrood will be administering one Licencing system and Westminster another. They will have to have a set and testable limit, which they curently don't have.

I was under the impression that nothing would happen until 2014. Is that when a new Scottish Parliament is formed ?

ATB
Ray.
raygun
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:32 am

leadpig wrote:
Yessir wrote:Dream on ;) . That didn’t happen here anyway, same cert as your shotgun one has crossbows, sub12ft.lb air rifles, and sub 6ft.lb air pistols on them here. And any chav can still buy them, and pellets, privately in the UK and have them posted to their home without any of our Islands authorities ever knowing :roll: .

yes it will,it wont stop crime but it Will lower it,infact it will make it harder to get pellets over here as they will be harder to get in the uk ;)
most people are not going to risk their airguns getting confiscated just for supplying a tin of pellets,and the ones without a license are going to find it hard to get pellets in the first place.
it did work over here,when was the last time you heard of a airgun crime over here :hmm:,and before you say anything it used to be bad in the80's/ 90's .
is it fair that the law abiding have to pay..........NO
is it better than having airguns banned..........YES
suck it up,it was always going to happen,but complaining wont stop it :thdn:

I can't see how your comparing the IoM with the UK, that's like Switzerland with the USA on gun ownership, when was the last time you heard of any serious crime here? :grin: . Chavs can still get catapults here but you still don't hear of grannies getting knocked out by them or windows getting smashed every day because that sort of stuff doesn’t happen here to anywhere near the same degree and the UK!.

But a license at £50 a year is effectively a ban for most people :roll: , who the hell is going to consider getting into air gun shooting when it will cost them that much just to be given the privilage of owning an air gun for one year, bearing in mind most people enter shooting sports after starting with air guns, I did for one .

They are obviously just trying to kill shooting as a legitimate sport and it wont do anything for crime, 1 pellet is enough for one crime, and there are 500 in most tins floating around under these chavs beds so they are not going to be stopped by not being sold pellets for a long, long time. Also remember the same tosser in Scotland who was pushing for this was also pushing to CAP the number of firearms you could hold on an FAC to something like three rifles maximum!!!, as that is the average held, so wake up and smell the shite people. Even if I thought this air gun ban, er sorry licensing system, was of any worth, you give an inch and they will take the whole nine yards so yes I will complain because othrwise here is what YOU ALL will be complaining about next = http://www.holyrood.com/articles/2012/06/25/14789/ . Edit, damn link had changed for some reason.
Last edited by Yessir on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby plugg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:Just today a very good and reliable source told me that the feared airgun licencing scheme is going to take place in Scotland before the next elections. This source, who will remain nameless, has taken part in several meetings with the relevant authorities discussing this.
The current proposal is for a shotgun type certificate (i.e. no need for good reason, no limit on gun numbers etc), but at a cost of £50 per year! :shock:

England and Wales will surely follow.

Kev.

Kev,

I take it that the air rifle certificate will be additional to an FAC and a SGC? What I mean is, I have 3 rifles on FAC and a shotgun on SGC, if I was to want to buy an air rifle would it cost me £50 for the certificate in addition to the £60 for co-terminous FAC/SGC?

If so, Id have thought they could integrate it into an FAC (after all, an air gun is a firearm in the eyes of the law).

£50 for a year!!! That is shocking, our FAC's cost around the same for 5 years. Those who want an air rifle would be better applying for an FAC!!
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:25 pm

plugg wrote:
That is shocking, our FAC's cost around the same for 5 years.

They might at the moment ;) , give it time :( . We've recently had all ours jacked right up.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby plugg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Yessir wrote:
plugg wrote:
That is shocking, our FAC's cost around the same for 5 years.

They might at the moment ;) , give it time :( . We've recently had all ours jacked right up.

If they do, Billy , they had better hike up the service to warrant the increased fees...Again, its just another money making exercise.

My variation for a .308 cost me £26...What is the £26 actually spent on? If I was to do a one for one variation from .22-250 to .308 it would cost me nothing but since the .308 was in addition to the guns I already hold they rob me of £26...Money making, it can be the only reason!!
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm

ACPO made a reccommendation a few months back about increasing FAC fees. From memory they want the fee to rise in increments to £180.00 to reflect the cost of running licensing departments.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Next

Return to Airguns and FAC air