divine

Theoben Rapid mk1 or BSA r10 mk2 FAC

Anything air rifle related

Theoben Rapid mk1 or BSA r10 mk2 FAC

Postby mark-88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these rifles, I'm looking around for a new fac rifle and have been offerd a rapid 7 mk1, it' looks in mint condition hardly a mark on it but I know it has been sat up for at least 6 years. It still shoots well as I've seen it with the owner,just not sure what sort of "service" it might need.

I have also had my eye on the BSA r10 mk2 as it looks the part! But sadly haven't really heard many good things about this rifle as a lot of r10 owners have had to send them back due to problems. Hopefully this isn't true atall and hopefully there are some r10 owners hear to tell me otherwise.

I will be very great full with any help regarding these rifles, cheers
mark-88

Re: Theoben Rapid mk1 or BSA r10 mk2 FAC

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:56 pm

i`d go rapid every time :thup: :thup:
they`re not pretty but they do what it says on the tin and they are quite easy to work on :grin: 8-)
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mark-88 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 pm

thanks for your feed back i really do like the rapid, however my friend "the owner" of the rapid took it to a gun shop today to have it looked over and was told the buddy bottle is out of date. it has 10/2002 stamped into the bottle, is this something of a big matter to get changed? also its running at 20lb at the moment we have taken the stock off and there is a power adjustment giving numbers 1 to 4. i would like to have it running at around 25-30lb just not sure what numbers mean what. i.e if turned to number 4 will that give me 40lb and number 3 would give me 30lb?
mark-88

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm

mark-88 wrote:thanks for your feed back i really do like the rapid, however my friend "the owner" of the rapid took it to a gun shop today to have it looked over and was told the buddy bottle is out of date. it has 10/2002 stamped into the bottle, is this something of a big matter to get changed? also its running at 20lb at the moment we have taken the stock off and there is a power adjustment giving numbers 1 to 4. i would like to have it running at around 25-30lb just not sure what numbers mean what. i.e if turned to number 4 will that give me 40lb and number 3 would give me 30lb?

it`s the first i`ve heard of the buddy bottle needing to be tested as it is considered part of the gun :? :?
don`t take this the wrong way mate,but we don`t know you from adam so you will not get any advice/help regarding tuning or adjusting any air rifle above the 12 ft/lb limit on this forum :!: :!:
MY BABIES
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby loco hitter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 pm

People who by rapids swear by them, when the R10 first came out it had apparent teething problems but I believe they sorted them out on the MK2, only problem is the small buddy bottle on The R10 will probably give you a low shot count provided your paper work is in order, but given the choice I would go for the R10 with the shrouded barrel, I think they look like the things dreams are made of, I have an Air Ranger but I think the R10 looks better and is also 300 or 400 pounds cheaper.
Rats are my favorite cheap targets!
loco hitter
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby mathspete » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm

I have a Rapid MK1 in FAC, and have never heard of the buddy bottle being out of date either :shock: . Are you sure that is just not the date of manufacture?. As you have taken this gun to a RFD I assume that you have a FAC and a slot for an FAC air rifle on it, I would say go for the rapid as even with its large capacity bottle I only get about 35 full power shots before it needs a refill, this is not a great inconvenience as I use it for rabbits in places that I can't use rimfire either for safety or other reasons, and how many rabbits can one person carry? :shock: .
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Buffy Vampire Slayer wrote:i`d go rapid every time :thup: :thup:
they`re not pretty but they do what it says on the tin and they are quite easy to work on :grin: 8-)

thats the problem,people play with them ;) :thdn:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Buffy Vampire Slayer wrote:
mark-88 wrote:thanks for your feed back i really do like the rapid, however my friend "the owner" of the rapid took it to a gun shop today to have it looked over and was told the buddy bottle is out of date. it has 10/2002 stamped into the bottle, is this something of a big matter to get changed? also its running at 20lb at the moment we have taken the stock off and there is a power adjustment giving numbers 1 to 4. i would like to have it running at around 25-30lb just not sure what numbers mean what. i.e if turned to number 4 will that give me 40lb and number 3 would give me 30lb?

it`s the first i`ve heard of the buddy bottle needing to be tested as it is considered part of the gun :? :?
don`t take this the wrong way mate,but we don`t know you from adam so you will not get any advice/help regarding tuning or adjusting any air rifle above the 12 ft/lb limit on this forum :!: :!:

erm how is a buddy bottle any different to a dive cylinder appart from the size ;) :? :?
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:14 am

leadpig wrote:

erm how is a buddy bottle any different to a dive cylinder appart from the size ;) :? :?

because it is regarded as part of the gun it is exempt from the testing regime that dive cylinders are put through ;) ;)
MY BABIES
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 pm

leadpig wrote:

because it is regarded as part of the gun it is exempt from the testing regime that dive cylinders are put through ;) ;)

Not if there removable AFAIK there treated like dive cylinders,just like paintball guns are
:hmm:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Andy.I » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 pm

High pressure vessels under a certain volume are exempt from testing for several reasons, including the fact that they are statistically less likely to contain stress concentrating flaws and the result of any catastrophic failure will not be so great due to the lower amount of energy stored. I can't remember the actual volumetric limit but it's in the public domain somewhere.
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Size12jon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:21 am

IIRC anything under 500cc won't need to be tested. Personally I would go for the rapid out of the 2 but that's because the r10 is too short in the stock for me.
Best thing would be to shoulder them both and pick the one that fits best.
Size12jon
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby leadpig » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 am

the r10 is a thing of beauty and works ok in fac
the theoben is ugly but has a good track reord,but there now not being made they are alway being messed about with as well :Facepalm:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Airguns and FAC air