divine

Advice on getting a new air rifle

Anything air rifle related

Advice on getting a new air rifle

Postby gdd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I was due to purchase a single shot webley raider pcp 177 but I've recently learnt that pcp powered rifles break down frequently over time. So now I don't know wether to get a pcp or break barrel, I've been advised to get an SMK 19 carbine costing £230 but I just don't want to be ripped off! Any advice on what to get for my first serious hunting rifle would be welcome because I know there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum! I'm looking for something reliable accurate an its not going to leave me skint! Any ideas lads?

Graham.
gdd
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Advice on getting a new air rifle

Postby hungryrob » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:02 pm

I've had a Rapid 7 for at least ten years now and it's been great. When the seals go; you simply replace them.

I've had a few other PCPs in that time and have never had any problems with them.. If you've got the cash, get a second hand AA 410 or 200, or a Brocock hunter, Falcon or whatever. The guns will cost around 2 - 300 quid and there's charging by bottle or pump after that to pay for which makes them more expensive but in my opinion, worth the cash..
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby gdd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks mate I'll check all those out, I know when I go to gun shops they're trying to sell me whatever they stock and try to influence my decision so I knew its best to get opinions off the forum before I part with my hard earned cash!
gdd
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby hungryrob » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:34 pm

I've never had a Webley PCP but can't think of anything wrong with them either..
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby crazyfrog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 pm

I have a Daystate MK4. Brilliant bit of kit

Now onto your Webley Raider, be careful as the Raider is a good rifle, it was UK made and was spot on, but the company went bust and the name, designs etc were bought over and started to be produced in Turkey, the quality went downhill as they were pushing crap out, but they realized this when their sales dropped and they were swamped with returns and repairs.

But for about the last 24 months they have got their act together and you will not get a better PCP for the money, if you have the extra cash go for the Raider ten shot though, especially if you are hunting.

Cheers
Shotguns
Centre Fire
Rimfire
Air Rifles & Pistol

BASC Member
DSC1
NRA RCO, Fullbore, Smallbore, Gallery Rifle
crazyfrog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:43 am

gdd wrote:I was due to purchase a single shot webley raider pcp 177 but I've recently learnt that pcp powered rifles break down frequently over time. So now I don't know wether to get a pcp or break barrel, I've been advised to get an SMK 19 carbine costing £230 but I just don't want to be ripped off! Any advice on what to get for my first serious hunting rifle would be welcome because I know there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum! I'm looking for something reliable accurate an its not going to leave me skint! Any ideas lads?

Graham.

completre and utter tat,take it from some one who has owned more than his fair share ;)
a modern pcp will consistantly out shoot MOST old or new springer end off ;)
money is where it will end at ;)
for a serious hunting rifle forget about smk completley,there is a huge differance between a tin can at 10 yards and a 10p size kill zone on a rabbit at 30 yards
if you tell us your budget and preferance ie pcp or spinger we can advise some rifles :thup: :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gdd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:54 am

Willing to spend upto £500 prefer multi shot pcp to break barrell, I just got told pcp get faults etc and that I should get a break barrell! I know I'd rather get a pcp I want a daystate but I won't buy a gun worth twice what my car would sell for!!
gdd
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Triffid » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:54 am

I think springer vs pcp is mostly personal preference and to say that pcp's break-down frequently is bull.

You're putting a fair chunk on money down - but I assume you'll need to buy a scope & mounts too. And if you want a pcp. a filling bottle as well: these will make some inroads into your budget.

Personally, whether you decide to go springer or pcp, I would would go for Air Arms. They make good kit. The Pro-Sport is widely regared as one of the best springers ever made. The S200 a good reliable pcp at a good price. and the S400/S700 series set the benchmark in the PCP field.
I would certainly stay away from SMK/Gamo etc, mainly as the resale value is low. Check out the second-hand prices of the rifles on Guntrader etc.

What do you want to use the rifle for?

Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:54 am

Triffid wrote:I think springer vs pcp is mostly personal preference and to say that pcp's break-down frequently is bull.

You're putting a fair chunk on money down - but I assume you'll need to buy a scope & mounts too. And if you want a pcp. a filling bottle as well: these will make some inroads into your budget.

Personally, whether you decide to go springer or pcp, I would would go for Air Arms. They make good kit. The Pro-Sport is widely regared as one of the best springers ever made. The S200 a good reliable pcp at a good price. and the S400/S700 series set the benchmark in the PCP field.
I would certainly stay away from SMK/Gamo etc, mainly as the resale value is low. Check out the second-hand prices of the rifles on Guntrader etc.

Triffid

That's about as good advice as you'll get.

I wonder if anyone has any views about whether to buy .22 or .177?

:grin:
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:30 am

Shootist wrote:
Triffid wrote:I think springer vs pcp is mostly personal preference and to say that pcp's break-down frequently is bull.

Triffid

That's about as good advice as you'll get.

nah .20 ;) :lol:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 247sniper » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:32 am

leadpig wrote:

nah .20 ;) :lol:[/quote]

Id like the .20 cal air rifles for the same reason I went for the .204, but pellets choices seem a bit thin on the ground.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 am

gdd wrote:Willing to spend upto £500 prefer multi shot pcp to break barrell, I just got told pcp get faults etc and that I should get a break barrell! I know I'd rather get a pcp I want a daystate but I won't buy a gun worth twice what my car would sell for!!

new guns in your price range
pcp
bsa ultras,or scorpions both really good guns
spring/gas ram
hw77, 80,90,95,97
air arms tx200,prosport

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gdd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 am

Yeah I was thinking of getting a BSA I'll check them thanks for the advice lads! And I'm going to be shooting vermin pigeons rabbits crows etc
gdd
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Phil9 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:27 pm

HIYA MATE,, just reading ur post about getting a pcp???? I've got a new webley raider xs,, with a hawke nite eye 3-9x40 ir scope on it,, complete with silencer(sound moderator) 1x 10 shot magazine in a .22 cal padded bag,,scope mounted lamp,, I bought it as a spare rifle,, UNO haha just in case,, but I've hand on heart shot around 30/40 pellets through it,, I v got 2 daystates that I use a mk4 is thumbhole in .177 and a huntsman classic in a .22 ,, I only use them every so often I mainly use my shot guns all I want is £300 for the lot mate,,,, it's upto u?!
Phil9
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Phil9 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm

ON GUN MART MATE THER GOIN FOR AROUND £350 WITH JUST THE SCOPE.
Phil9
Musketeer
Musketeer

Next

Return to Airguns and FAC air