divine

New spring for HW77?

Anything air rifle related

New spring for HW77?

Postby Shootist » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Having just stripped and cleaned by new/old .177 HW77K, (smaller piston model) I have decided I need a new spring. The current one, round section) has a good 3 inches protruding when the block is removed and it's not under pressure, and looks a tad wonky. I also think it might be worth replacing the spring guide while I'm at it. The piston and breech seals look to be in good order.

So, recommendations please.

BUT!

I don't want to shoot deer with it a 200 yards, or smash a pellet through a tree trunk. I want it under 12 ft/lb. Neither do I want a custom spring, rolled around the nipples of a fair Rhinemaiden and coated with Odin's snot. I just want a quality spring that hasn't been ground off at the end to bring the power down. :)
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: New spring for HW77?

Postby humperdingle » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:26 pm

I had an old 1984 HW77k (briefly :roll: ), which had been reblued by Richardh.

The spring was the original, as far as I could see, and wasn't perfectly straight, and it also protruded about 3" out the end... It also had the original alloy spring guide.

Everything was cleaned and re-greased, and I tried the old spring first, to see what the power was. To my amazement, the old gun was getting 11.6ftlbs, and very consistently, usually within 4 or 5 fps.

I did change breech and piston seals, as they weren't overly expensive, and the original ones were a bit scored.
I'd try the old spring first, you never know - It might be fine.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: New spring for HW77?

Postby Viperteks » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:31 pm

V-mach or Maccari

http://www.air-rifle-tuning.com/v-mach/Home.html

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/pag ... 251327.htm

I would put a full new piston, guide, and spring in - the difference is awesome!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Return to Airguns and FAC air