divine

Pellet choice

Anything air rifle related

Re: Pellet choice

Postby Axel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 am

leadpig wrote:ps
all the pointed and hollow pointed pellet ideas are flawed,mainly down to consecutivity,unless the point or hollow point are exactly the same ie centeral each pellet will pull to one side either horizontally or vertically differently ;)
i spent a lot of money and time working this out through a lot of guns ,ending in working out that most of the adds in mags are talking sh1t,round nose are the way forward unless your target/close up pest controling then flat nose is best

Thanks for that advice!

Got to get me some AA/JSB ASAP :grin:
Past (from 1968 to 1982)
Gat .177 pistol
Original .177 pistol
Diana .177 rifle
BSA Meteor .22
BSA Airsporter .22
Relum .22 underlever

Present (from 2013 to.....)

Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Webley Alecto .177
Axel
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Andy.I » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:56 am

Axel

With respect to your question regarding de-leading / re-leading: you don't mention whether you are using a springer or a PCP, but from a previous post of yours which mentions dieseling, I suspect you may be using a springer. This may explain what you have experienced.

PCP's tend to perform better with squeaky-clean bores, while a freshly cleaned springer barrel will noticeably lose power and accuracy after cleaning until a considerable number of pellets have been put through it.

Also, something you might like to experiment with is pellet size. JSB / Air Arms pellets, for example, are available in different die size, which refers to the diameter of the pellet's head, and is usually shown on a label on the tin. Many PCPs showed a marked preference for a specific die size. Springers in my experience however, are less sensitive to head size and more sensitive to skirt size. You can demonstrate this with a freshly cleaned springer barrel, by taking a pellet, placing it skirt-down on the lid of the pellet tin and polishing the skirt with some considerable downwards finger pressure, which expands the skirt. This will result in an increase in velocity close to or equal to the velocity you got before cleaning.
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Axel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Andy
Yes, you're right, it's a springer (Weihrauch HW97 KT). I have noticed that some pellets(Crosman Destroyers and H&N Field Target Trophy) are a looser fit when inserting into the breach. Weihrauch don't specify the exact diameter of pellet to use. What is the science angle here? I can see that a tighter pellet will provide a better seal, but will a tighter pellet slow down due to the increased friction in the barrel? As you say, experimentation with different sizes is the best answer!

Cheers

Axel
Past (from 1968 to 1982)
Gat .177 pistol
Original .177 pistol
Diana .177 rifle
BSA Meteor .22
BSA Airsporter .22
Relum .22 underlever

Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Webley Alecto .177
Axel
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby leadpig » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Axel wrote:Hi Andy
Yes, you're right, it's a springer (Weihrauch HW97 KT). I have noticed that some pellets(Crosman Destroyers and H&N Field Target Trophy) are a looser fit when inserting into the breach. Weihrauch don't specify the exact diameter of pellet to use. What is the science angle here? I can see that a tighter pellet will provide a better seal, but will a tighter pellet slow down due to the increased friction in the barrel? As you say, experimentation with different sizes is the best answer!

Cheers

Axel

i have always found a snug fit to be best,to loose and you get flyers,but you dont want to be hamering them in either ;)
as said some brands of pellet can have 3 different sizes so it will be trial and error
my 97kt was .22 so cant help you there :thdn:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Andy.I » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:58 am

Axel wrote:Hi Andy

Cheers

Axel

The science angle is complex and what I write below is very much a simplification.

A PCP works with the pellet accelerating (relatively) gently up the barrel while a springer relies on a small blast of extremely high pressure air "spitting" the pellet. The skirts of pellets fired from a springer can be seen to have been inflated by the piston pressure, causing them to grip the radius of the breech, allowing the pressure to build up until it (the skirt) suddenly yields, resulting in extremely high initial acceleration. Conversely, skirts of pellets fired from a PCP tend to be undeformed, except of course by the barrel's rifling.

You need to fire the pellets into material which will gently decelerate them to see this. Once fired, both springer and PCP-fired pellets exhibit approximately the same barrel friction.

This is the reason you can get very short barreled springers while PCPs tend to have longer barrels.

To go back to the subject of barrel leading, I have observed that PCPs tend to suffer from lead build-up much more than springers. I remember somebody bringing a BSA R-10 to me to investigate why it was so inaccurate and I discovered that the lead build-up was so bad it was hard to discern that the barrel was rifled! However, as to why springers are so sensitive to de-leading (suffering from power loss) while PCPs prefer a perfectly clean barrel (and become inaccurate when leaded) is still very much a mystery - if anybody has any idea please educate me! :)
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Andy.I wrote:- if anybody has any idea please educate me! :)

:shock: Wouldn't take on that job :worried: :worried: ;) :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Axel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 pm

The science angle is complex and what I write below is very much a simplification.

A PCP works with the pellet accelerating (relatively) gently up the barrel while a springer relies on a small blast of extremely high pressure air "spitting" the pellet. The skirts of pellets fired from a springer can be seen to have been inflated by the piston pressure, causing them to grip the radius of the breech, allowing the pressure to build up until it (the skirt) suddenly yields, resulting in extremely high initial acceleration. Conversely, skirts of pellets fired from a PCP tend to be undeformed, except of course by the barrel's rifling.

You need to fire the pellets into material which will gently decelerate them to see this. Once fired, both springer and PCP-fired pellets exhibit approximately the same barrel friction.

This is the reason you can get very short barreled springers while PCPs tend to have longer barrels.

To go back to the subject of barrel leading, I have observed that PCPs tend to suffer from lead build-up much more than springers. I remember somebody bringing a BSA R-10 to me to investigate why it was so inaccurate and I discovered that the lead build-up was so bad it was hard to discern that the barrel was rifled! However, as to why springers are so sensitive to de-leading (suffering from power loss) while PCPs prefer a perfectly clean barrel (and become inaccurate when leaded) is still very much a mystery - if anybody has any idea please educate me!

Fascinating info, Andy. Thanks!
Past (from 1968 to 1982)
Gat .177 pistol
Original .177 pistol
Diana .177 rifle
BSA Meteor .22
BSA Airsporter .22
Relum .22 underlever

Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Webley Alecto .177
Axel
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Axel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Wouldn't take on that job

Ha ha :lol:
Past (from 1968 to 1982)
Gat .177 pistol
Original .177 pistol
Diana .177 rifle
BSA Meteor .22
BSA Airsporter .22
Relum .22 underlever

Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Webley Alecto .177
Axel
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Axel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Sorry to go slightly off topic here, but:

How often should my barrels (one springer rifle and a pneumatic postol) be cleaned? There are bore cleaning pellets on the market, anyone had any experience with these? Other than that, is best to rely on pull throughs?
Past (from 1968 to 1982)
Gat .177 pistol
Original .177 pistol
Diana .177 rifle
BSA Meteor .22
BSA Airsporter .22
Relum .22 underlever

Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Webley Alecto .177
Axel
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Andy.I » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Axel wrote:Sorry to go slightly off topic here, but:

How often should my barrels (one springer rifle and a pneumatic postol) be cleaned? There are bore cleaning pellets on the market, anyone had any experience with these? Other than that, is best to rely on pull throughs?

My suggestions are:

- For a spring just pull a dry patch through a couple of times every thousand-or-so pellets.

- For a pneumatic thorough clean with patches and solvent every few hundred pellets. I tend to use lighter fuel, although I'm sure somebody will crawl out of the hedge and tell me that it's dangerously inflammable! However, I don't think it really matters what you use as long as you don't spill anything nasty on seals and you don't spill it and light up. ;)
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Axel » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:36 am

although I'm sure somebody will crawl out of the hedge and tell me that it's dangerously inflammable!

OK! I'll put me fag out before I start then! ;)

Thanks for the advice Andy.
Past (from 1968 to 1982)
Gat .177 pistol
Original .177 pistol
Diana .177 rifle
BSA Meteor .22
BSA Airsporter .22
Relum .22 underlever

Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Webley Alecto .177
Axel