divine

Why have an FAC air rifle over a live fire rifle?

Anything air rifle related

Re: Why have an FAC air rifle over a live fire rifle?

Postby Steve P. » Sat May 31, 2008 12:03 am

Treeman wrote:Anyway, hunting is about being out in the countryside, using your stalking skills and actually hunting the quarry. Not standing about or sitting in a 4x4 just popping off anything in range-for me anyway.

You're right, but pest control is simply about shooting vermin. ;)
"What we have here.........is a failure to communicate"
Steve P.
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Sat May 31, 2008 12:06 am

Steve P. wrote:
Treeman wrote:Anyway, hunting is about being out in the countryside, using your stalking skills and actually hunting the quarry. Not standing about or sitting in a 4x4 just popping off anything in range-for me anyway.

You're right, but pest control is simply about shooting vermin. ;)

I have to agree with both of you - but is that not an argument for standard 12 lb.ft rifles over FAC air? ;)

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Steve P. » Sat May 31, 2008 12:27 am

Beer Hunter wrote:I have to agree with both of you - but is that not an argument for standard 12 lb.ft rifles over FAC air? ;)

Kev.

Not at all. How? :?
"What we have here.........is a failure to communicate"
Steve P.
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Sat May 31, 2008 11:20 am

The suggestion in both your posts is that your hunting is all about using stalking skills to get as close as possible. If that is the case then surely a non-FAC airgun would be the tool of choice - quieter and more shots per charge, etc...

For me, most vermin shooting is simply a numbers game. There is a job to do that no airgun is capable of doing. My bunny and fox control is mainly a way of saying thanks to local landowners for giving me free deer stalking.
If I'm out for an evening with an airgun then 20 rabbits is a good bag, but it just doesn't make a dent on the population. If I take an HMR or .204 then I can be looking at a minimum of 100 and any foxes that come along.

Don't get me wrong - I love the thrill of airgun hunting. It's hunting in the purest sense and much more exciting than the clinical technical exercise that is long range sniping.

My anti-FAC air stance is really a reflection of the hunting up here where there is virtually no population. I can shoot deer from my study window where I'm writing this post and have a target set up at 150 yards from the windowsill for doing load development. The hunting areas are vast and safe - great backstops everywhere and no houses / people anywhere. Quite simply, a .50 BMG would be as safe as a S410 for bunny bashing here.
In more populated areas, FAC air probably does make more sense from a safety aspect.
However, personally, I'd still use a rimmy with low powered rounds - no charge shot limit, less weight, less expense, quieter etc, etc, etc....

I cracked off the last of my 'CCI CB Long' (30 lb.ft) rounds as I was trying this. Their zero difference at 40 yards was only 4 clicks left and 7 up. If I were using a rimmy in a mix of "safe" and populated areas, I could swap between the 2 rounds in seconds and shoot both areas safely and still have a 100 yard range. If shooting in a barn, again I could swap to a sub 12 lb.ft round with just a few scope clicks. FAC air just does not have this flexibility.

The only good argument I've heard for FAC air is basically "I want one and I like them" and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby hungryrob » Sat May 31, 2008 12:30 pm

Beer Hunter wrote: FAC air just does not have this flexibility.

Early mark 1 Rapid with 24" barrel does :grin: ;) :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Beer Hunter » Sat May 31, 2008 12:37 pm

hungryrob wrote:

Early mark 1 Rapid with 24" barrel does :grin: ;) :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

It's good, but your still limited to 60 yards or so and definitely no fox at any range ;)

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby covert op » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:53 pm

"My anti-FAC air stance is really a reflection of the hunting up here where there is virtually no population. I can shoot deer from my study window where I'm writing this post and have a target set up at 150 yards from the windowsill for doing load development. The hunting areas are vast and safe - great backstops everywhere and no houses / people anywhere. Quite simply, a .50 BMG would be as safe as a S410 for bunny bashing here.
In more populated areas, FAC air probably does make more sense from a safety aspect.
However, personally, I'd still use a rimmy with low powered rounds - no charge shot limit, less weight, less expense, quieter etc, etc, etc...."

and dont forget how lucky you are :grin:

jealous shooter :)
covert op
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Judge Ali » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:
hungryrob wrote:

It's good, but your still limited to 60 yards or so and definitely no fox at any range ;)

Kev.

that seems to be biggest difference i have noted so far in all the opinions posted here - no matter what you just simply cannot do a fox with an air rifle!

cheers
alex
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Airguns and FAC air