divine

HW95 Newbie

Anything air rifle related

HW95 Newbie

Postby Tsangari » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 am

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the sport and have acquired a Weihrauch HW95 in amazing condition. I have not used it yet and was wondering what people's thoughts are on this air rifle and any suggested accessories. I have a 4x32 8 point scope and a carry case. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to keep it or swap for another air rifle.

Simon.
Tsangari

Re: HW95 Newbie

Postby Shootist » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:48 pm

If it's in good condition then you have what is regarded as a classic springer. One problem is, you can only blame yourself if it shoots crap. Keep it. It wouldn't hurt to get a better scope. Possibly 3-9 or 4-12, but there's no rush. What you have is likely to be adequate. If you're really shooting bad, get someone who can shoot a springer to try it. If they're shooing bad consider a new scope, as springers can be hard on scopes.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tsangari » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Shootist wrote:If it's in good condition then you have what is regarded as a classic springer. One problem is, you can only blame yourself if it shoots crap. Keep it. It wouldn't hurt to get a better scope. Possibly 3-9 or 4-12, but there's no rush. What you have is likely to be adequate. If you're really shooting bad, get someone who can shoot a springer to try it. If they're shooing bad consider a new scope, as springers can be hard on scopes.

Thanks for the info.

I am planning to test it out tomorrow at a farm so I should be able to tell how good I am then.
Tsangari

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:37 pm

why would you be considering selling it without putting a pellet through it :? :hmm: :?
you'll not go far wrong with a weihrauch :thup: :thup:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tsangari » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Buffy Vampire Slayer wrote:why would you be considering selling it without putting a pellet through it :? :hmm: :?

The biggest thing I've noticed is the weight. Compared to some others I've held its on the heavy side.

If it shoots well then I will forgive it for being heavy lol.
Tsangari

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Tsangari wrote:
Buffy Vampire Slayer wrote:why would you be considering selling it without putting a pellet through it :? :hmm: :?

The biggest thing I've noticed is the weight. Compared to some others I've held its on the heavy side.

If it shoots well then I will forgive it for being heavy lol.

it's heavy coz it's German and built well :thup:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:24 pm

A lightweight springer will be very difficult to handle. The recoil on a springer starts well before the pellet even starts to travel so hold is critical. Heavier is easy. The HW95 is a very good compromise. You think that's heavy? Try an AATX200. I'm still unsure whether to fit mine with a sling or a truss. :shock:
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 pm

as said it is a good gun,the modified version of the hw80 which is itself a good gun :thup:
the hw77, 80, 95, 97 have a cult following with the hw99s starting to join it as a light well made accurate springer.
the only things i would add are decent mounts,scope and a wide sling :thup: :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tsangari » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:19 am

Thank you all for the advise.

It shoots really well (after I zeroed in the scope) I may get a mount and I now understand that heavier is better. The recoil is quite hard to deal with at first.

Thanks again.
Tsangari

Postby leadpig » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Tsangari wrote:Thank you all for the advise.

It shoots really well (after I zeroed in the scope) I may get a mount and I now understand that heavier is better. The recoil is quite hard to deal with at first.

Thanks again.

let it recoil dont grip on to it for dear life,i make a fist and rest the forend on that or from a open palm if standing :)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 pm

I have the HW97 and that is as heavy as hell , but like Shootist said , the weight absorbs the recoil and gives a good indication of the guns Quality , you have a good gun there . :thup: :)
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:16 pm

Sidebyside wrote:I have the HW97 and that is as heavy as hell , but like Shootist said , the weight absorbs the recoil and gives a good indication of the guns Quality , you have a good gun there . :thup: :)

you hit owt with it yet :grin:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tsangari » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Been to my dad's mates farm. A couple of crows and pigeons. Along with a shit load of targets lol.
Tsangari

Postby Sidebyside » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:14 pm

leadpig wrote:
Sidebyside wrote:I have the HW97 and that is as heavy as hell , but like Shootist said , the weight absorbs the recoil and gives a good indication of the guns Quality , you have a good gun there . :thup: :)

you hit owt with it yet :grin:

More than you could 8-) :thup: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:11 pm

sounds like a challenge :grin:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Airguns and FAC air