divine

.177 or .22?

Anything air rifle related

Re: .177 or .22?

Postby flintlok » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Shootist wrote:We are surely missing the most important point here. Due to the differing opinions on the merits and demerits of each calibre, any rational person will have no option but to buy one of each. :thup: :grin:

Now, that's how I approach gun collecting. :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby DaveDimelow » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:44 pm

I have to agree with "Shootist" ...both calibres is looking like the way forward. I mean, why not? I've never tried a .25 rifle but i would imagine they pack quite a punch, as for Daystate's and others having .30 and FAC rated PCP's now, the knock down potential is fantastic!!! :) :) :) :thup:
DaveDimelow

Postby leadpig » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:26 pm

the next air rifle i will buy will be a .25 and more than likely a bsa ultra, i loved my .22
most .25 pcp's will shoot within half inch between 10/28 yards with a 22 yard zero iirc, it still hits the target with around 10 fpe at 30 yards which with a head/neck/heart shot will flatten everything from a mouse to a hare easily .
for a short range vermin caliber it pisses all over 177 and even 22
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 247sniper » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 pm

The_Dogge wrote:
Buffy Vampire Slayer wrote:
Shootist wrote:
Les1066 wrote:The only difference with .177 is that it needs to be delivered very accurately, because otherwise the pellet can pass straight through without doing any serious damage .... except the quarry will probably crawl away to die a long, slow death.

I confess some doubts about this perceived wisdom. The difference in diameter between the two pellets is 0.043" or the tiniest bit over just four hundredths of an inch, in diameter. Either is capable of passing through it's target. In fact, logic would dictate that the .22 is more likely as it will carry greater momentum, an important issue in wound ballistics. Either is capable of a slight miss which will cause significant damage (E.G. blowing out a rabbit's sinuses) that will not kill, but will wound while not disabling the rabbit.

Steve the difference may only be .043" or 1.09mm but to put it into perspective a .22 pellet is still nearly 25% bigger than a .177. :thup: :razz:

Actually it is much worse than that, one vital statistic from a terminal ballistics point of view is the frontal area, the frontal area of a .22 is over 54% bigger than a .177, it also retains more energy as it has a higher BC. It will certainly have more "killing power", the trade off is the chances of a good hit, nobody uses a .22 for Field Target, but they don't have laser rangefinders either, if they were allowed the calculation may be different.

Very interesting, but fact! I like the facts. :)
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:17 am

247sniper wrote:
The_Dogge wrote:
Buffy Vampire Slayer wrote:
Shootist wrote:
Les1066 wrote:The only difference with .177 is that it needs to be delivered very accurately, because otherwise the pellet can pass straight through without doing any serious damage .... except the quarry will probably crawl away to die a long, slow death.

I confess some doubts about this perceived wisdom. The difference in diameter between the two pellets is 0.043" or the tiniest bit over just four hundredths of an inch, in diameter. Either is capable of passing through it's target. In fact, logic would dictate that the .22 is more likely as it will carry greater momentum, an important issue in wound ballistics. Either is capable of a slight miss which will cause significant damage (E.G. blowing out a rabbit's sinuses) that will not kill, but will wound while not disabling the rabbit.

Steve the difference may only be .043" or 1.09mm but to put it into perspective a .22 pellet is still nearly 25% bigger than a .177. :thup: :razz:

Actually it is much worse than that, one vital statistic from a terminal ballistics point of view is the frontal area, the frontal area of a .22 is over 54% bigger than a .177, it also retains more energy as it has a higher BC. It will certainly have more "killing power", the trade off is the chances of a good hit, nobody uses a .22 for Field Target, but they don't have laser rangefinders either, if they were allowed the calculation may be different.

Very interesting, but fact! I like the facts. :)

ehh did you not read what i posted, the facts show that between 10/25 yards the 25 will be within a half inch from zero but hits like a house brick, there is no trade off for accuracy as the sheer energy will finish it and iv'e never seen a longtail smaller than one inch from head to chest ;) . there are many reports of decapitation for longtails and pigeons with a 25 the energy is that high :grin:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Airguns and FAC air