divine

'Energy transfer' and sub 12 ft/lb.

Anything air rifle related

'Energy transfer' and sub 12 ft/lb.

Postby Shootist » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:39 am

I've read a couple of remarks recently on various calibre related arguments about the importance of 'energy transfer' and shooting through quarry. In high velocity powder burners the velocity of the bullet can cause huge cavitation injuries which will increase the wound damage and thus hasten the demise of the quarry. Furthermore, hydrostatic shock can further cause damage some distance from the wound. But is this likely to be the case for relatively low velocity airgun pellets? I don't think so for the simple reason I can find no hard evidence to suggest it's so (although there are plenty of opinions supporting every available option or alternative).

If I'm right, then 'energy transfer' is a meaningless concept. By contrast, there are plenty of videos of people receiving shots to the ballistic armour they are wearing from rounds such as 7.62 NATO without even being put off balance. Likewise, shots to large dead animals suspended on a rope show very little movement. On this basis what kills quarry with sub 12 ft/lb air rifles is tissue damage, bleed out, and nervous shock. Such is my opinion. If I'm right, then the only real difference between airgun calibres is the amount of tissue damage they do on their way through the quarry's anatomy, which difference is going to be marginal at best, I would suggest.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 'Energy transfer' and sub 12 ft/lb.

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:05 am

now I've tracked you down to another alias having read this elswhere :razz: ;)
I've seen some slow motion shots on wild goats,pigs and deer where the whole body of the animal balloons out and trembles/quivers due to impact and subsequent internal trauma :shock:
saying that though,it would really matter which type of bullets were being using as FMJ would behave much differently to soft and ballistic tipped ammo
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 am

as far as airgun pellets are concerned the trauma passed over from velocity and surface area must be of a similar but smaller scale outcome :hmm:
there must be a mathematical formula somewhere :!:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:05 pm

AFAIK high velocity large calibre bullets cause both kinetic and hydrostatic shock and wound ballistics. That's why a .50cal will rip your arms/legs off!

With smaller bullets and definitely airgun calibres, if the slug exits the animal it has NOT delivered it's whole energy value to that animal, so you are then relying on it hitting something important on the way through or passing enough of it's energy over to the target to do the required damage to bone/blood vessel or CNS (Central Nervous System)

If it stays within the animal then it has to transfer its full energy to that target so would (or should) me more effective!

Any of these can then lead to one of the 3 known causes of death

Asphyxia, Coma and Syncope

Or a combination of...

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby flintlok » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:20 pm

Nah, with air gun like arrows the type energy is pretty much straight kinetic through penetration. Either you hit a vital organ or the critter dies through hemostatic shock. With air rifles is minimal hydrostatic shock and cavity formation other than the tissue being cut or pushed out of the way.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:22 pm

flintlok wrote:Nah, with air gun like arrows the type energy is pretty much straight kinetic through penetration. Either you hit a vital organ or the critter dies through hemostatic shock. With air rifles is minimal hydrostatic shock and cavity formation other than the tissue being cut or pushed out of the way.

shoot a pigeon close range with a domed pellet then shoot the one next to him with a flat faced/match pellet
i have seen pigeons shot 3/4times with 22 domed pellets and the stupid things just sit there looking at you.
with the flat pellets i have yet to see a pigeon take more than one, they are dead before they hit the floor ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 pm

leadpig wrote:
flintlok wrote:Nah, with air gun like arrows the type energy is pretty much straight kinetic through penetration. Either you hit a vital organ or the critter dies through hemostatic shock. With air rifles is minimal hydrostatic shock and cavity formation other than the tissue being cut or pushed out of the way.

shoot a pigeon close range with a domed pellet then shoot the one next to him with a flat faced/match pellet
i have seen pigeons shot 3/4times with 22 domed pellets and the stupid things just sit there looking at you.
with the flat pellets i have yet to see a pigeon take more than one, they are dead before they hit the floor ;)

Pellets with edges cut larger wound channels. It's the same problem with round nose 38 Special vs the Keith style bullet in 38 special. The Keith style bullet have a 90 degree step edge and cuts a hole the diameter of the bullet. The round nose 38 bullets push tissue out of the way and that causes wounds that tends to close and bleed less. The round nose is a less lethal bullet. With a high power rifle all of this is moot. With bullet such as the 44 Magnum, those loads have enough energy to cause a soft nose lead bullet to mushroom. It makes no difference whether it a hollow point of soft tip solid. They will mushroom. You just don't get that with air rifle unless you hit solid bone. I always use a flat nose bullet with air rifle when shooting critters and I have dropped them in place.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 pm

Flat head pellets are more effective at short range, good on rats.

Saying that, I used JSB EXACT with good results

never had a fly away

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad