divine

PCP Storage

Anything air rifle related

PCP Storage

Postby Nathan2312 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:56 pm

I have been seeing lots of different opinions on the net when it comes to PCP air gun storage.

some saying to empty the Reservoirs for the reason it strains the seals,, and others saying to fill the Reservoirs for the reason if its under pressure it keeps moisture and dust etc out.

I know to clean and oil the exterior and keep in a dry environment but what is recommended in regard to the Reservoirs if your having to travel and leave your gun, I so far have not let mine get empty, I use it every weekend so it will go 5 days with out been shot, once its half full I top up, I do this because I have a hills pump and its easier than filling from empty. However im currently in process of buying a bottle for faster easier filling and the air is filtered so I wont be getting any water vapor via the pump which I do not have a dry pack fitted.

Thanks

Nathan
Honest honey this is the last gun I will ever need
Nathan2312
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: PCP Storage

Postby Les1066 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:31 pm

I always leave mine with air in. As you've stated, it keeps dust etc from entering, it keeps the o-rings under pressure which seems to stop them drying out, and it also gives you a good indication about whether or not you have any leaks. If you put it away with 100 bar in the cylinder, it should have 100 bar in it the next time you use it. ;)
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: PCP Storage

Postby Keef » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:58 pm

The seals, usually "O" Rings are designed to be under pressure. The pressure deforms them to provide the seal between the metal parts.

If they are under pressure they are kept in the same shape, emptying the cylinder completely and then refilling would weaken the ring by constantly changing the shape back and forth.

The killer for cylinders is rust caused by moisture. Providing the air used is filtered breathable quality the moisture should be kept out of the cylinder by the quality of the air used and the seals.

My view but I'm open to contradiction.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Return to Airguns and FAC air