divine

Virgin Hunter

Anything air rifle related

Virgin Hunter

Postby Nathan2312 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Well went out on my first Airgun hunt on Saturday,

I have only really been shooting at targets as i am new to the airgun hunting and wanted to make sure i was efficient with accuracy etc.

when i felt confident enough to make sure i was capable of giving a clean kill i thought it time i went out and gave it a go.

Absolutely 100% harder than using ferrets!

there where rabbits all over but every time id get into range they would vanish, i was trying to make sure i was down wind, quite and camouflaged etc, "things not needed when using ferrets" but the closest i could get was about 60 meters before they had gone.

ive never been hunting with an airgun before so guess i have to practice much more at the stealth, but Jesus it was frustrating! :mad:

been trying to pick up tips from youtube and the rabbits on the vids seem to walk into the pellets! them guys make it look pretty easy

Still cant wait to give it another go though, sure i will get there eventually :thup:
Honest honey this is the last gun I will ever need
Nathan2312
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Virgin Hunter

Postby mathspete » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 pm

:grin: Welcome to the real world of hunting stuff that doesn't want to be shot :grin: Keep working on the being sneaky and walking quietly, or try getting well hidden and playing the waiting game :thup: . Gimme a shout if you want to try using a lamp at night, I'll hold the lamp for you and we should be able to get you within air rifle range :grin: :thup:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Nathan2312 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Was thinking getting some net for hide, one thing i seriously need is some warmer cloths the biggest fur hat i can get and some them hand warmers! spent hours walking round hedge rows freezing! hard to walk away and call it a day empty handed!

Might take you up on the lamp holding, im working on a new permission now with a farmer that my brother knows, its local to me about 5 min drive, currently i have a 3 acre field where i shoot targets and a farm in Newark where i can go hunting, So can only go after rabbits now and then,

Once i get the local permission i will give you a shout, think your only about 10 min drive from me anyway.

But after reading the Haunting Hunt replies... can we go lamping in the day? :grin:

Thanks for the offer though Pete :thup:
Nathan2312
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Everything on the planet hunts and eats rabbits, that's why they have big EARS.

You will get there, great offer from Pete too - take him up on it Nathan :thup: :thup: :thup:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Nathan2312 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Will do Dave

But think only fair i am the one holding the lamp and doing the carrying as im the learner, even if not personally shooting its all experience and getting out with people that know what there doing is best way to learn and pick stuff up, not scared of starting at the bottom.

Will be contacting Pete once got the permission that's close to us both and schedules allow, already msg him the location.

Getting to Newark is a ball ache! but im very hopeful and think i have this local permission sorted, infact i have a few in the pipe lines. But time will tell :thup:

Is funny how you can easily underestimate the work needed to even get close to the bloody rabbits with sub 12 ft/lbs! "not like i expected to just walk up and ask them to hold still" :hmm:

Still addictive though! :)
Nathan2312
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hem88 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:11 pm

When it comes to stalking rabbits noise is the biggest problem watch them ears you can see them point at you if they do freeze until they go back to feeding then move you should get to 20 yards before they see you as there eye sight is pretty poor the other problem is there is nearly always one there you can't see that will give the game away and thump his feet and all will run. Hope this helps tool me a long time to get to grips to how long it takes sometimes I have taken over an hour to get in range before but if you can without spooking at all you can somtimes get 2 or 3 before they run in
Hem88

Postby Viperteks » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Nathan2312 wrote:Will do Dave

But think only fair i am the one holding the lamp and doing the carrying as im the learner, even if not personally shooting its all experience and getting out with people that know what there doing is best way to learn and pick stuff up, not scared of starting at the bottom.

Will be contacting Pete once got the permission that's close to us both and schedules allow, already msg him the location.

Getting to Newark is a ball ache! but im very hopeful and think i have this local permission sorted, infact i have a few in the pipe lines. But time will tell :thup:

Is funny how you can easily underestimate the work needed to even get close to the bloody rabbits with sub 12 ft/lbs! "not like i expected to just walk up and ask them to hold still" :hmm:

Still addictive though! :)

Go out Hunting with Hungryrob on here, you don't really need a gun - he drives that fast you either run them over or they die of fright - f you don't believe me ask 'Mathspete' LOL :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Nathan2312 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 pm

emmm, from what ive seen posted, its they guys with him that die of fright :grin:

Thanks for the tips and advice Hem88 :thup:
Nathan2312
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Nathan2312 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Back from Newark after spending weekend at me dads, went out sat and bagged 7 healthy rabbits, was out most of the day though.

had a walk around found little place on the edge of some woodland and set up a hide with some netting i got from ebay looking over a field with small river running through it, lots of grass and hedge where they seem to spend most of the day.

really enjoyed it even with out much walking around,

not sure if its common but was taking them with head shot just behind the ear, they all twitched some, but one went mad! jumping all over the place, i broke cover and went upto it to make sure i had killed it and it was a clean head shot but my god it was bouncing all over.

good day though and really enjoyed it, :thup:

will post some pics of the hide i made once i upload

just thought, maybe i should think before making titles, virgin hunter kinda sounds like im hunting for more than rabbits :hmm:
Nathan2312
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:40 am

Nathan2312 wrote:Back from Newark after spending weekend at me dads, went out sat and bagged 7 healthy rabbits, was out most of the day though.

had a walk around found little place on the edge of some woodland and set up a hide with some netting i got from ebay looking over a field with small river running through it, lots of grass and hedge where they seem to spend most of the day.

not sure if its common but was taking them with head shot just behind the ear, they all twitched some, but one went mad! jumping all over the place, i broke cover and went upto it to make sure i had killed it and it was a clean head shot but my god it was bouncing all over.

just thought, maybe i should think before making titles, virgin hunter kinda sounds like im hunting for more than rabbits :hmm:

I saw the topic heading and thought " You'll be lucky " :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:51 am

Nathan2312 wrote:Back from Newark after spending weekend at me dads, went out sat and bagged 7 healthy rabbits, was out most of the day though.

Excellent outing Nathan :thup: , you are really learning fast :thup: , get used to to the occasional rabbit doing a crazy "death dance" even though they're dead the muscle twitching just makes them bounce all over the place. P.M. me your number and I'll be in touch about some ratting soon :grin:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter