divine

Paralax change..m

Don't buy cheap glass!

Paralax change..m

Postby Tommo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm

I have a Deben PM 10x42 with sidewheel paralax knob. It occured to me recently that it might not be just my eyes that are letting me down re focussing scopes and I wondered if there is any way of telling if a scope has been reparallaxed to, say, FT or HFT ranges. I can focus down to less than 4m with it, which seems awfully close focus, too close for any full bore activity.

It's a damn good scope, a tad heavy on my .308 Parker-Hale Scout but it's clear and sharp (usually) and will stand the weather and usual knocks.

PS: if anyone's interested I'm thinking of trying to sort out a swap, not the Deben scope.. If anyone wants to swap a good NV scope kit for a Winchester '94AE Legacy XTR in .357 let me know :)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Remy700/Minsterley%20Pics/M6-TomsWinchesterAction.jpg
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: Paralax change..m

Postby Keef » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:54 pm

Tommo, there is a difference between parallaxing and focusing.

When you look through a scope that has been parallaxed to the correct range the target should not move relative to the reticle when you move your head/eye line.

If you start off at say 50 yards and set the scope for that distance. With the rifle on a bench rest/bipod/sandbag look through the scope and align it with the target. Move your head and the ret should remaion on the target. If the ret moves across the target then try some small adjustments to get it so the ret doesn't move. Mark the ring with the distance.

Repeat at various ranges, see how far back the scope will parallax, it should go to infinity.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Tommo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:06 pm

I understand what you mean Keith and, having given it a little more thought, I'm wondering now if it is more likely that I just can't get enough focus on the eye-bell rather than the side forcus/paralax. Curiously though it's fine at 100m, but at distances past that I just can't seem to get as clear a focus as I'd expect from a scope like that. (and I have shot this rifle out to 600yds at Altcar..!! :shock: )
I'm wondering if there's any milage in looking for a swap or trade-in against a proper hunting scope as that's what I'm wanting to use the Scout for in the near future..

Thanks for you input.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Keef » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Tommo, the eye bell ring is normally used just to focus the ret. Sucking eggs maybe but look through the scope and use it to bring the ret clearly into focus. I normally do this on white paper of looking at the sky.

Then try the scope at different distances for focus.

Did you buy the scope new?
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby stillair1 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Sounds like yours has been done for hft or the like Tommo. Can the front element cage be be moved easily for adjustment. I had a mk4 leupold that had been "brought" in for FT. It was easy to reparallax. Adjustment is screw in to shift the parrallax range out. :)
stillair1
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby thibben » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:34 pm

Gents,

Just a note here, when focussing the ret. using the ocular bell do not do it while looking through the scope and 'twiddling'. Look away, 'twiddle', then look through the scope, the ret. should snap into focus. If you do adjustments while looking through your scope then your brain and eye will also do a bit of adjustment to try and bring things into focus.

Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision