Viperteks wrote:
TJC wrote:I use the feeler gauge method but suspect yours is more accurate

Expand...?

Please.

Dave

This is what I meant:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=feeler+g ... =127&ty=68

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=231766

Althought if you combine levelling with an innovative (albeit expensive) scope mount this is what you end up with on page 2 and on second to last page.

http://www.spuhr.com/scopemount%20features.pdf
TJC
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Levelling a rifle scope

Postby leadpig » Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Triffid wrote:Sounds like too much faffing around to me . . .

Lock the scope loosly in the rings so it's just held, but you can rotate it. Then find a straight line on the floor, like the edge of a floorboard and line up the toe and heel of the rifle butt along this line, with the barrel pointing upwards. Then look down through the scope and you should be able to see the reticule superimposed on the line on the floor . . . rotate the scope until the two line are parallel and jobs done.

I'm sure I found this trick on ShootForum, so have no claim to it, but it works for me.

Triffid

;)
i do similar but draw a cross on a large bit of card,then line it all up,good enough for the usmc :grin:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ovenpaa » Sun May 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Hopefully I am not out of line here...

The design is now finished and I have built the first batch in what appears to be the more common 9-21mm lift, plus a couple of prototypes of the lower version that will go from 3-11mm. I will start on those one early next week and they will be available from Wednesday. These are a bit away from the shooting related things I normally build and I was surprised at how much even a couple of degrees change in angle makes, plus keeping the tolerance of parallel that I wanted takes some setting up but it is done now I think it has been a worthwhile exercise. Thank you all for your input. :thup:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Journal: http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/
Ovenpaa
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Sun May 13, 2012 7:23 pm

TJC wrote:
Viperteks wrote:
TJC wrote:I use the feeler gauge method but suspect yours is more accurate

Expand...?

Please.

Dave

This is what I meant:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=feeler+g ... =127&ty=68

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=231766

Althought if you combine levelling with an innovative (albeit expensive) scope mount this is what you end up with on page 2 and on second to last page.

http://www.spuhr.com/scopemount%20features.pdf

Thanks for that!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Viperteks » Sun May 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Ovenpaa wrote:
Viperteks wrote:Ovenpaa's system does look VERY good, apart from I have come across a few scopes where the reticule collimator body inside the scope is NOT square with the actual adjustment turrets.
This is one of the potential flaws in the idea, I have to assume a manufacturer uses the base as a datum and if the base is out of square to the reticle then then my system fails.

Which ones have you come across that were out of square?

A good few over the years, mainly lower to middle of the market, although one was a Old Zeiss!

This is the Segway Reticle leveler MKIIthat I use, they don't appear to be available anymore! :(

You put the bar under the scope in one of the rail grooves, elastic band goes under the action to hold it in place - quite simple really. Then look through the scope and align.

Like so

I do like your system, even simpler, any idea as to cost?

Plus I would NOT patent it - that just gives the EXACT details to our Chinese copy friends, But I would copyright it and register the design!

Cheers

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Ovenpaa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am

As an update, I managed to devise a method of machining the ultra low scope aligning wedges and machined a set for a 2,5mm gap last week so I have effectively managed to cover all scope gaps from 2,5mm to 20,0mm - Not sure I want to machine the ultra low ones very often though as it involves keeping the fingers of one hand crossed a lot of the time and a few curses thrown in for good measure....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Journal: http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/
Ovenpaa
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Lock the scope loosly in the rings so it's just held, but you can rotate it. Then find a straight line on the floor, like the edge of a floorboard and line up the toe and heel of the rifle butt along this line, with the barrel pointing upwards. Then look down through the scope and you should be able to see the reticule superimposed on the line on the floor . . . rotate the scope until the two line are parallel and jobs done.

I'm sure I found this trick on ShootForum, so have no claim to it, but it works for me.

Triffid

This one I like. Needs to be a sticky somewhere.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cottontail killer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:34 pm

Shootist wrote:

Triffid

This one I like. Needs to be a sticky somewhere.

Sounds alot like Dave's method
I shoot more bullets than Topper Harley in hotshots part deux

Big Gun
Big Gun
Bigger Gun
Little Gun
Another Little Gun
Another Big Gun
2 More Little Guns
Another Little Gun
Cottontail killer
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Triffid » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Used it again last night, setting up a new rifle. Works a treat for me.
Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:43 pm

;) :thup: :thup: :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby ski » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:53 am

Buffy Vampire Slayer wrote:i use the clamp the gun in a workmate or in a maintenance station with a bubble level across the action,align the elevation crosshair with a plumb line hung from the garage door method :thup: :thup:
Clunk click every trip :grin: :grin: and less than 5 mins with no expense ;) ;)

:thup: :thup:

I didn't even need to hang a plumb line...

My apartment had "verticle hanging" blinds that were right on. and just had to use a bubble level for the rifle action.

ski
"Americans! Over paid, over sexed and over here!" Fowler RAF

U.S. Navy---- "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who would threaten it."

Christians aren't better, just Forgiven.
ski
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision