divine

Taking Photographs and Video down a Scope

Don't buy cheap glass!

Postby The_Dogge » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi,
I have taken some reasonable photos down scopes just holding a camera where my eye should be, but I'd like a better setup, which doesn't require the rifle to be rested so I can use my hands. This seems more complicated than the usual "digiscoping" setup because of the long eye relief.

I see some people manage to take good video down their scopes, and even shoot, presumably using the viewfinder to aim. Some even use lashup video cameras as night vision addons.

Does anyone have any tips on how to mount a camera? I was thinking about a cheap gorillapod and lots of blutack!?!

I would want it to be fairly quickly detachable so I could shoot too, without the camera, and I dont want to spend lots on equipment as it is "just for a laugh" to show people how targets look down the scope etc.

Thanks for any help
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Taking Photographs and Video down a Scope

Postby FXL5 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 am

If you have a spare scope ring, you could drill and tap the middle of the bottom half, and use a section of machine screw to snug the camera down against it - if the camera has a tripod mounting hole, of course, and if it's light enough. That would then attach to the rail like anything else...

Or even use a complete scope ring gently tightened around the lens-piece if it's one of those expanding point and shoot cameras. I think many of them are about 1" or 30mm in diameter...
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.
FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Wireless » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:03 am

A German company called Seben manufacture a bracket that clamps onto the optics, they even sell via eBay, try www.seben.com
Wireless
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby The_Dogge » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks guys,

I couldnt find anything likely on the seben site, for digiscoping there is plenty of stuff like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Tel ... 4aaa5d5ec1 but it is all for short eye relief telescopes, i dont think it will work with a riflescope will it? or am I wrong? I could have been holding my camera in the wrong place all along?!

FLX5, I think we may misunderstand each other, are you talking about mounting a camera on top of the scope? I want to look through the scope with the camera...
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby FXL5 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 am

No, mounting it on the scope RAIL, using butchered additional scope rings. You'd have three rings on your rail, two for the scope and one further back for the camera.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -

FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:23 am

FXL5 wrote:No, mounting it on the scope RAIL, using butchered additional scope rings. You'd have three rings on your rail, two for the scope and one further back for the camera.

You must have significantly longer scope rails than me! :) Cheers, I see how that might work with some sort of chassis system stock with a rail all the way down the barrel.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby FXL5 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:36 am

Failing that, a bracket in a sort of inverted U shape, placed over the stock, with sufficient padding both to make it firm and avoid scratches, bolted to the tripod mount of the camera. Your cheek weld would be terrible, though.

FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Wireless » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Search YouTube for video of the Seben DKA2, that's the product I have here.
Wireless
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Wireless » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Wireless
Musketeer
Musketeer

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision