divine

Vortex scope from USA

Don't buy cheap glass!

Vortex scope from USA

Postby red_mamba » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm thinking of ordering one of this from ebay.
Seller is from US but it ships worldwide.

Any one knows where I can check any additional UK charges (VAT etc.)
Do I need any import papers?
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Vortex scope from USA

Postby Yessir » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:34 pm

A general guide is 1/4 of the all up cost, that's what you might have to pay in extra when it gets here.

Maybe, but I've never bothered with the gear I've brought in and had no problems.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby red_mamba » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:44 pm

It would still be 300£ less than in UK shop :)
I'll probably get it delivered strait to my home Country address.
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby leadpig » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:39 pm

red_mamba wrote:I'm thinking of ordering one of this from ebay.
Seller is from US but it ships worldwide.

Any one knows where I can check any additional UK charges (VAT etc.)
Do I need any import papers?

use this m8 ;)
http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-impor ... lculation/
have you considered sightron :)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby red_mamba » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks,

I'm not familiar with that scopes. I'll try to find some reviews on them :grin:
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby red_mamba » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:36 pm

I got a Hawke scope from eBay. I'm taking the scope back home next month.

Do I still need to get the export papers for this?
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby flintlok » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:53 am

Nah, you only need an export license for military scopes that have specific military designations. The Votex isn't one of those scopes and sending to the UK isn't an export issue nor does it require an export license. Sending any rifle scope to places such as North Korea, Yemen, Iran, etc. is a major issue and will get you wrapped around the axle.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby red_mamba » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:59 pm

I guess hawke is the same as vortex then

If I get into trouble with UK customs I;ll blame you guys :grin:
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby flintlok » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:02 pm

No. You refer to the information that I provided below to a previously asked scope question.......

This has been discussed on the site in other posts. Generally hunting scopes are ok to export to the UK from the US without an export permit. Military scopes and their components, i.e. scopes or components that been specially adopted by the military and had an assigned military part numbers (built to military specification) fall under the ITAR regulations and required an export permit. This gets confusing for lots of export folks also but things like and ACOG or an EO Tech are easily identified as military scopes. A Leupold rifle scopes designed for hunting would typically be considered a dual purpose scope and wouldn’t present a problem for export to the UK without a license. Note that Leupold does make some military issued scopes also. There are certain places that a black listed by the regulation and are illegal to export any kind of rifle scope to. Those countries would be instantly red flagged such as Libya or North Korea. That’s not the case with the UK.

From the US State Department (I copied this off of the net but I have done the research and contacted the folks at commerce about this issue before)

OFFICIAL NOTICE OF THE STATE DEPARTMENT

MARCH 4, 2004

We have received the Commodity Jurisdiction determination for the mil dot reticle and the riflescopes that have a mil dot reticle.

The State Department has ruled that mil dot reticle or riflescopes with a mil dot reticle are not subject to the licensing jurisdiction of the Department of State, if the item is specifically designed for commercial applications or used without modification/adaptation for military applications.

The mil dot reticle and riflescopes that have a mil dot reticle are subject to the licensing jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce. In accordance with the Export Administration Regulations, issued by the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), riflescopes (ECCN 0A987) including any applicable parts or accessories are controlled for crime control and the firearms convention treaty. Riflescopes must have an export license prior to exiting the <ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN w:st="on">U.S.A.</ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN> to most countries. The Commerce Country Chart located in the Export Administration Regulations, Supplement 1 to Part 738 is a comprehensive list of the countries for which an export license is required. The latest issue to date of the Commerce Country Chart is attached for your reference. For future updates refer to the homepage of the Bureau of Industry and Security at www.bis.doc.gov. Once at the homepage click on policies and regulations, then export administration regulations (EAR), then EAR website, then EAR database, go to Supplement 1 to Part 738 for the listing.

A State Department license is required prior to shipment to any customer in any country, if the mil dot reticle or riflescopes with mil dot reticle are specifically designed, developed, configured, adapted or modified for use on United States Munitions List (USML) controlled items. Controlled items are subject to the licensing jurisdiction of the Department of State in accordance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR 120 through 130).

If the scope is built to military specification for use by the military it is governed by the U.S. State Department. The actual restrictions are spelled out in detail under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), more specifically under The United States Munitions List Part 121.1, 22 CFR Ch. 1, f. Riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications qualify as "commercial items and are governed by the U.S. Department of Commerce under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
U.S. State Department International Trade Administration Regulations (ITAR)
http://www.pmdtc.org/consolidated_itar.htm
http://www.pmdtc.org/reference.htm
Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby red_mamba » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:24 pm

The title is a bit misleading in this case.

I bought a scope from eBay from a guy in UK. And I'm moving it from UK to Slovenia next month when I go back home with my car.
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby flintlok » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:32 pm

red_mamba wrote:The title is a bit misleading in this case.

I bought a scope from eBay from a guy in UK. And I'm moving it from UK to Slovenia next month when I go back home with my car.

Shipping a rifle scope may be a problem and forget everything that I said as it only applies to US law. Generally we follow the ITAR rules as does the UK however I have no idea as to how the UK views a rifle scope shipped to Slovenia. WIthout looking at US regulations I would suspect that it would require an export permit and be fully regulated. Your on your own on this one. :oops: :oops: :oops:

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TJC » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Flintlok, what do you think of the Bushnell TRS 25 for export ? It is a red dot but is meant for hunting mainly although quite a few run them in competition on 3 guns. Any idea which camp this one falls into ? Thx
TJC
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby flintlok » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:30 pm

TJC wrote:Flintlok, what do you think of the Bushnell TRS 25 for export ? It is a red dot but is meant for hunting mainly although quite a few run them in competition on 3 guns. Any idea which camp this one falls into ? Thx

Generally, in a export to the UK if it is just a hunting red dot without night vision there are no restrictions as it's just an optical hunting sight with a red dot. I believe that there is an exception for Generation 1 night optics exported from the US to the UK but I'd have to look that up. I did one earlier and I did find the exception. I don't believe that the military is not using the Bushnell TRS 25 otherwise Bushnell would be “crowing” about it so there's no ITAR issue.

Again non military scopes are regulated with the Department of Commerce however there is an exception in the regulations where generally in export to NATO countries no export permit is required. I know that the case with the UK. Military scopes are regulated under ITAR and fall into the State Departments regulation under the DDTC.

The Bushnell TRS 25 rifle scope in this case would be classified as EAR99 under the exception.

From the Commence Department web sight concerning firearm and related material exports which is about as clear as mud.

http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/export ... m#qfifteen

What is the ECCN for riflescopes or hunting scopes?

ECCN 0A987 controls specific sighting devices, their associated optical elements, and adjustment mechanisms. Please see the entry for a detailed description of what is controlled. Sighting devices that are not specified in this ECCN or elsewhere on the Commerce Control List, and are not subject to the jurisdiction of the Department of State, are EAR99.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby red_mamba » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Looks like everything above 4-times magnification needs an export license :hmm:

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/Exporting ... -n1035.htm
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby TJC » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 am

flintlok wrote:
TJC wrote:Flintlok, what do you think of the Bushnell TRS 25 for export ? It is a red dot but is meant for hunting mainly although quite a few run them in competition on 3 guns. Any idea which camp this one falls into ? Thx

Generally, in a export to the UK if it is just a hunting red dot without night vision there are no restrictions as it's just an optical hunting sight with a red dot. I believe that there is an exception for Generation 1 night optics exported from the US to the UK but I'd have to look that up. I did one earlier and I did find the exception. I don't believe that the military is not using the Bushnell TRS 25 otherwise Bushnell would be “crowing” about it so there's no ITAR issue.

Again non military scopes are regulated with the Department of Commerce however there is an exception in the regulations where generally in export to NATO countries no export permit is required. I know that the case with the UK. Military scopes are regulated under ITAR and fall into the State Departments regulation under the DDTC.

The Bushnell TRS 25 rifle scope in this case would be classified as EAR99 under the exception.

From the Commence Department web sight concerning firearm and related material exports which is about as clear as mud.

http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/export ... m#qfifteen

What is the ECCN for riflescopes or hunting scopes?

ECCN 0A987 controls specific sighting devices, their associated optical elements, and adjustment mechanisms. Please see the entry for a detailed description of what is controlled. Sighting devices that are not specified in this ECCN or elsewhere on the Commerce Control List, and are not subject to the jurisdiction of the Department of State, are EAR99.

Thanks sir
TJC
Rifleman
Rifleman

Next

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision