divine

Aimpoint

Don't buy cheap glass!

Aimpoint

Postby firepower » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 pm

As it says on the tin I am considering buying one of these scopes. I was mooching on Youtube yesterday and came across a video from the Fieldsports Channel where a chap swapped out from a normal scope, no doubt a Zeiss ;) to an Aimpoint for stalking Munties. They look pretty much foolproof for instinctive shooting, the bullet goes wherever the dot is regardless of whether your eye is actually in line with the scope. Has anyone got any input on these sexy looking devices?
ATB
Mick
firepower
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Aimpoint

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:52 am

firepower wrote:As it says on the tin I am considering buying one of these scopes. I was mooching on Youtube yesterday and came across a video from the Fieldsports Channel where a chap swapped out from a normal scope, no doubt a Zeiss ;) to an Aimpoint for stalking Munties. They look pretty much foolproof for instinctive shooting, the bullet goes wherever the dot is regardless of whether your eye is actually in line with the scope. Has anyone got any input on these sexy looking devices?

yeh,you`re not wrong there :roll:
zeiss this zeiss that,blaser this blaser that :grin:
Last edited by Buffy Vampire Slayer on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Aimpoint

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:58 am

I have an Aimpoint CompML2 on a Winchester 1894 in .45 Colt which is primarily used for gallery rifle competition.
The Aimpoint was fitted after going through 3 other (cheaper) red-dot sights in very quick succession. The less expensive sights just didn't cut it in either optical quality, red-dot size (too large) or in red-dot visibility in certain light conditions. The Aimpoint suffers none of these faults.

Red-dots have many advantages over traditional scopes, including:
  • unlimited field of view - the non magnified image allows you shoot with both eyes open
  • they are parallax-free with unlimited eye relief allowing you to place the sight anywhere on the rifle.
  • fastest target acquisition
  • they work in any light conditions that you can see in and also with NV if you buy one that provides a NV dot
As much as I love the CompML2, it would not be my first choice for hunting as it has a 4 MOA dot. For the competitions I shoot which go to a maximum of 50 meters, it is giving a 2" dot projected on the target and that is fine. However for deer stalking, unless all your shots are going to be at very close range, it just wouldn't be fine enough.
However, Aimpoint also do models with a 2 MOA dot which would probably be fine out to about 150 yards on deer size targets.

Having looked through a great many red-dots and read all the reviews I can get my hands on, there are only 2 manufacturers I'd touch - Aimpoint and Eotech.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision