divine

does dropped rifle = bent scope ?

Don't buy cheap glass!

does dropped rifle = bent scope ?

Postby mathspete » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:35 am

Last night was quite windy so decided to take my .22-250 instead of the .204. After I took it from the cabinet I foolishly propped it against the back of a wooden chair whilst I got the bolt and ammo from the top section, I then heard the slide and crash as it hit the wooden floor :shock: . Nothing appeared wrong until I tried to insert the bolt, the scope eyepiece was preventing the bolt sliding in by at least 2-3 mm :thdn: . I locked it all back away as I had to meet a pal so took the 204 instead. I have not yet had chance to check properly what has happened :? . My questions are; how can I easily tell if I have bent the scope tube, and if it is bent is it repairable? or just scrap. If it’s not bent what has happened instead to prevent the bolt going in?
I can already tell that this is going to be expensive :shock: :thdn: .
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: does dropped rifle = bent scope ?

Postby Keef » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am

To check if the scope is bent take it off the rifle and place it on two pieces of wood that are the same size on a flat surface. Roll the scope along the wood and if it's bent it will show as rise and fall.

Even better is if you have a craft classroom with some vee blocks and a dial test indicator as this will give an accurate measurement of the distortion.

The weakest part on many scopes is just in front of the eye bell and Sod's Law says that's where it hit the floor.

If it's a quality scope it may be worth sending to the manufacturer to attempt a repair but if not you'll have to scrap it.

There's a guy who advertises repairs and that he used to repair scopes for BSA, he's based in the Midlands. I sent a Tasco 8 to 40 x 56 to him that was bent. He straightened it but cocked up the focusing -it wouldn't focus down to 10 yards as it was supposed to. It went back to him and when it was returned it would focus at 10 but not past 20 yards. Having spent £35 on his bill plus Special Delivery x 4 I gave up. I would suggest you avoid him.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby leadpig » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 pm

as Keith said if it is a decent scope it maybe reparable,it could also be your mounts
if its not either of them it WILL get expensive :shock:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The Burpster » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Pete,

You've kinda answered your own question there mucker..... The bolt wasn't in so it can only have bent the scope or mounts. As mounts are relatively robust you are already narrowing it down to scope tube.

The Burris on my .270 had a similar (but lower) dink when the dog (that you met, but has sadly now died) knocked it over. That just put a small dent in the end ring on the large objective but had little or no effect on how the scope operated.

The eyepiece end however has most of the clever bits in it and it will undoubtedly effect how it works. Check it as Keef states above for alignment, then work out if it is economically viable to repair it.

Hoping you keeping well, fyi still waiting for my new Tikka (7 months now :hmm: ) but rumour has it it might be here this month.....
Every day you wake up is a good day!

Bob.
The Burpster
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision