divine

first time red dot

Don't buy cheap glass!

Re: first time red dot

Postby flintlok » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:27 am

I used a Trijicon reflex sight out to 300 yards. It's not a scope by any means and if you are looking the scope type accuracy, then buy a scope. The sight has a three minute of angle dot and it's easy to mange out to the 300 yard. At 100 yard I set the target on top of the dot, at 200 yards I set the dot on the target, and at 300 yards I place the dot on top of the target. The accuracy is akin to iron sights. That's fine for me as I rarely used a scope as most all of my shooting was done with iron sights. Now the iron sights are difficult to for me see without glasses but I can see the dot clearly with no problem.

They are great for fast sighting and in the dark I still can see the dot if there is any light at all, even if the front of the lens is obstructed. I should note that my dot sight is provided with fiber optic and tritium so I can still see the dot in total darkness. It you intend to use your gun like a iron sighted gun the dot site will get you by just fine. If you want to shoot egg size targets at 200 yards you will need a scope. Eventually I intend to by an EO Tech and the add-on magnifier. I probably wouldn't use magnifier all that much but I definitely would use the EO Tech.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tkd67 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks all for your great responses..the desicions made ;)

vortex strikefire for .22 :thup:

scope for .223 :thup:
tkd67
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:17 pm

JIBOOW wrote:I have a Burris Fastfire 3 red dot reflex sight with a 3 moa dot which I bought from America. I think I paid £130 not including postage (can't remember what that was) for it but was then stung for a further £29 import duty and uk postal costs. It is a fine piece of kit and is rated for centre fire rifles. I intend on puting it on my 300 win mag for driven Boar shooting in France.

Mines fired hundreds of rounds on the 12g semi and its working brilliantly :thup: . Compact, light weight, low down, hardly any FOV obstruction, perfect...

I didn't get taxed on import either :grin: :thup: .
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:37 pm

Yessir wrote:
JIBOOW wrote:I have a Burris Fastfire 3 red dot reflex sight with a 3 moa dot which I bought from America. I think I paid £130 not including postage (can't remember what that was) for it but was then stung for a further £29 import duty and uk postal costs. It is a fine piece of kit and is rated for centre fire rifles. I intend on puting it on my 300 win mag for driven Boar shooting in France.

Mines fired hundreds of rounds on the 12g semi and its working brilliantly :thup: . Compact, light weight, low down, hardly any FOV obstruction, perfect...

have you tried it on a rifle ie any parallax issues
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 am

leadpig wrote:
Yessir wrote:

have you tried it on a rifle ie any parallax issues

Wouldn't really use it on rifle for vermin control with an 8 moa dot, good for a shotgun but the 3moa would be more suited to a rifle.

Even so when testing the slugs I didn't notice any :hmm: , it might depend on the range as to if you get any (very close etc).
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby ThatWelshGuy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Not got one myself But I have seen an EOtech that was great. It had a 1MOA center dot great for longer shots but had an outter ring that allowed quick reaction close shots. NOT Cheap but military grade and Very good.
ThatWelshGuy
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Rancid Badger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:37 pm

I had an Eotech 553 which I reccently sold, it was an excellent piece of kit - 1MOA dot with a 10MOA ring.

I also fitted a 4x magnifier behind it on a FTS mount, so I had the option of 1x or 4x for longer shots.

Alas I've subsequently developed a very expensive Schmidt & Bender habit...
Charles S Rosson 1963 12g BLNE
Henry Monk 1913 12g SLE
Benelli Super Sport 12g
Mossberg 590 12g
Tac-Sol AR-22
Custom Varmint CZ452
Rancid Badger
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous