divine

first time red dot

Don't buy cheap glass!

first time red dot

Postby tkd67 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi all been looking at some red dot sights and wanted a opinion.

Sparc red dot and the vortex strike fire, theres about £20 difference in price and was wondering if anyone has used such and what they think of them, the sight would be used on a .22 AR15 platform.

I know the distances on the web sites but what kind of distance on the range would you expect from the above.

The price range im after was under £200........many thanks :thup:
tkd67
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: first time red dot

Postby leadpig » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:14 pm

depends on how far your shooting and what size moa dot it is
ie
a 8 moa dot is going to cover a 8 inch circle at 100 yards,4 inch circle at 50 yards or 2 inch at 25 yards
a 4 moa dot is going to cover a 4 inch circle at 100 yards,2 inch circle at 50 yards or 1 inch at 25 yards
ect
not used the ones you mentioned,but like everything else the more you spend the better the quality,stay away from cheap red dots there cheap because there shit
hope that helps :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tkd67 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:46 pm

leadpig wrote:depends on how far your shooting and what size moa dot it is
ie
a 8 moa dot is going to cover a 8 inch circle at 100 yards,4 inch circle at 50 yards or 2 inch at 25 yards
a 4 moa dot is going to cover a 4 inch circle at 100 yards,2 inch circle at 50 yards or 1 inch at 25 yards
ect
not used the ones you mentioned,but like everything else the more you spend the better the quality,stay away from cheap red dots there cheap because there shit

Thankyou, never seen that in text so ill now refer to that while looking at the different red dots.. very useful for us newbies :thup: ..Now thinking about it im now looking at aimpoint around the £350 mark....but will have to think about this, due to it being have the price of a .223 upper i would also like :hmm:
tkd67
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:23 pm

tkd67 wrote:
leadpig wrote:depends on how far your shooting and what size moa dot it is
ie
ect

Thankyou, never seen that in text so ill now refer to that while looking at the different red dots.. very useful for us newbies :thup: ..Now thinking about it im now looking at aimpoint around the £350 mark....but will have to think about this, due to it being have the price of a .223 upper i would also like :hmm:

old saying i used to ignore but now i think is true apart from normal air guns,spend the same on your glass as than the gun ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 pm

tkd67 wrote:[p: ..Now thinking about it im now looking at aimpoint around the £350 mark..:

good choice :thup:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:44 pm

I used to have an aimpoint, imported in myself from the US when such thing were easy, liked it and it worked very well.
I ended up selling it on, and made money which was a nice surprise (shock).

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:13 am

I've tried several red-dots and some were better than others, but all failed under one lighting condition or another.... but not the Aimpoint CompML2 I have now. It just works all the time :)

Mine is used for gallery rifle where the 4 MOA dot is perfect. It would not be my first choice for any hunting situation.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby tkd67 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:24 am

Thanks for all the advice/replies.......its gonna have to be the Aimpoint COMP ML3 Red Dot Sight..

Now the saving starts :roll:
tkd67
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby normanb » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Doctor red dot sights are the the one I have fitted to double rifles ,both sxs and o/u .Colleagues in Belgium and Holland tell me they fit little else , to the extent they are taking optical sights off and replacing them with Doctor red dots , asked about other makes especially from the US and I will not repeat their answers.
normanb
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tkd67 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Here i go again, sitting at the computer and finding a..
Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO .22LR

Now im totally confused and only have myself to blame, as to which one, red dot seem excellent choice for quick fire aiming but then the scope would give me more accuracy..desicions :hmm:
tkd67
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 pm

What are you going to be using the rifle for?

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby tkd67 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:What are you going to be using the rifle for?

Kev.

Target shooting, the sight will be used on a AR15 platform .22 but during the coming months i want a .223 upper receiver, to fit on the lower receiver and was thinking of bisley for the upper use.

Was not sure what would be the best option, 1 scope for use on both....or 2 but a cheaper option just for the .22 :?
tkd67
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:53 pm

I have a Leatherwood CMR 1-4 scope with an illuminated reticule on my Sig 522, which with a bit bit of practice can be shot at 1x almost (but not quite) like a red-dot, and has the additional magnification (and fine enough reticule) for longer shooting (where magnification really helps). The scope is pretty rare in the UK, but can be got from Midway UK at < £400, and mine has been good so far.

The key for optics is to buy quality, and to be realistic about what you are going to use it for - like everything, there really is no single solution to all types of shooting - if there was, we'd all have one!! :thup:
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby normanb » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:07 pm

I would not consider a red dot as a substitute for a scope if you are target shooting , It is primarily in my opinion for shooting game where an often moving target is the quarry ,you could also include stalking in that . The Idea is to shoot both eyes open as with a shotgun so you are quicker to find/sight on your target .I know of people who have shot boar a right and a left using a double rifle with a red dot not a thing that you could easily with a scope. I also understand that a new military assault rifle is now so equipped ,but this is largely within the 100yard range and offten much closer .
One advantage a red dot has in my opinion is for those of us that wear glasses who can not use open sights ,see the target but not the sight so change glasses so we can see the sight but then can not see the target .
normanb
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby JIBOOW » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:39 pm

I have a Burris Fastfire 3 red dot reflex sight with a 3 moa dot which I bought from America. I think I paid £130 not including postage (can't remember what that was) for it but was then stung for a further £29 import duty and uk postal costs. It is a fine piece of kit and is rated for centre fire rifles. I intend on puting it on my 300 win mag for driven Boar shooting in France.
JIBOOW

Next

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision