divine

A faster way of hitting your target at different distances b

Don't buy cheap glass!

A faster way of hitting your target at different distances b

Postby usmcruz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Let's say you used a certain load that you used all the time, and you made a range data card for that load, for that rifle and scope. I totally suck at math and counting 100 or 200 clicks on a 1/8 moa scope for long range shooting is not a quick method. Now my question is, why can't you just record the setting where the knob is for every 25 yards. Am i missing something? Seems like that would be a hell of a lot easier then counting clicks or doing moa math. You just turn the knob to the setting for whatever distance you laser ranged. Any thoughts are appreciated
usmcruz
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: A faster way of hitting your target at different distanc

Postby TJC » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Some do it like that. I've seen a few guys who put tape around their scope nobs and write 100, 150, 200, 250 etc on it. Overall, it will work within reason but if you want accuracy you have to take into account constantly changing factors ie what happens if you are shooting 20 degrees uphill or 15 degrees downhill, what happens when temp changes from -5C to +30C. If you do it well, it will work and that is the basis of Bullet Drop Compensation sights for hunting...

this...http://www.nikonhunting.com/page/reticles/1

For one bullet, in one condition it works. If you change bullet, powder, brass or enviornment then it might not be precise. If you can live with that then soldier on.
TJC
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby c18rch » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Does your scope have target turrets? If so you shouldn't have to count clicks.

It also depends on how accurate you want to be. Danger Space is a good way of quickly working out your elevation.

With my 30-06 and a 4" target I can shoot out to 275yds without any elevation, then with 2.75 moa elevation I can shoot from 275 - 330yds, 3.5moa 330 - 360, etc. Each load is different though and it depends on your accuracy requirements.
c18rch
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:16 pm

With the exception of my Sightron 10 to 50 x 60 and my Leupold 8 to 25 all of my scopes have turrets that I have made and fitted either over the original turrets or replaced those turrets.

These turrets have tape around them with range settings on them. To qualify it, most of the scopes are used for quite close range gallery rifle comps back to 50 yards. However I do use the one on my Marlin 357 underlever back to 300 yards, the one on my slug shotgun back to 200 yards and my Sako .22 Finn Fire back to 200 yards - all for target shooting.

I also tape the parallax ring and mark the ranges on it. Not the neatest set up but it works on the range:

Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby 247sniper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Just use MOA instead of counting clicks. If u have each range info it is virtually instant to adjust for.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jeff » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:52 pm

usmcruz wrote:Let's say you used a certain load that you used all the time, and you made a range data card for that load, for that rifle and scope. I totally suck at math and counting 100 or 200 clicks on a 1/8 moa scope for long range shooting is not a quick method. Now my question is, why can't you just record the setting where the knob is for every 25 yards. Am i missing something? Seems like that would be a hell of a lot easier then counting clicks or doing moa math. You just turn the knob to the setting for whatever distance you laser ranged. Any thoughts are appreciated

I have target turrets on my Sightron, and regularly shoot at 300m, 400m and 500m ranges....so although I have a range card, it just records what MOA I dial on the turrets from my original load dev which I did from 100m-500m in 100m increments. I usually need to fine tune from there for the conditions, and am busy recording these for different ranges, temperatures, etc. as I shoot more places so I have a decent log book to tell me what the gun will likely do on a given range on any given day.

For hunting, I typically use a ballistic or mildot ret and have the range vs aiming mark on the flip up scope cover.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby usmcruz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:55 am

I appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. The reason I wanted to do that method is because I suck at math, and I don't fully understand clicks or moa's out past a 100 yards. Thanks again!!
usmcruz
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Stinkfoot » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm

usmcruz wrote:I don't fully understand clicks or moa's out past a 100 yards.

This might help.

Stinkfoot
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby usmcruz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:46 pm

I spent about 4 hours last night trying to research moa on a 1/8 inch turret, and I think I'm starting to understand it just a little bit better. By the way I'm using a 12-42x56 nightforce benchrest scope with the CH-2 reticle.
usmcruz
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision