divine

Scope options for 50-100 meters

Don't buy cheap glass!

Scope options for 50-100 meters

Postby SteveX » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Guys,

Had a quick browse on the forum and it seems like an informative and friendly place so I decided to register :)

I'm picked up a G22 the other week and I am looking for my first reasonable scope for 50-100 meters that won't break the bank but will do the job.

I'm used to target shooting with my Anshutz through open sights with no magnification, so the scope market is new to me, they seem to range from insanely cheap and nasty to insanely expensive! Of course I assume you always get what you pay for, IE better glass etc, but I need something that will be happy with shooting targets at the above range in reasonable daylight conditions that is not over the top, so nothing too strenuous.

The G22 is really just for some fun and to have a play with LSR. I've got some modifications that I am currently doing to the G22, but I will be needing a scope for this little rifle as the open sites are poor, so any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

I've seen some of the cheaper Nikko's such as mountmaster's and nighteaters, and various air gun scopes such as AGS's online but I really am not sure what I am looking at in fairness. My local gunsmith only has a very limited selection of high end scopes in that seem a bit over kill for what I am doing.

Thanks,
SteveX
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Scope options for 50-100 meters

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 am

wecome aboard :grin: :thup:
what`s your budget :?:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby SteveX » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks for the welcome and super speedy reply! :)

Budget wise, that's a good question I guess given the price of the rifle I am looking at second hand scopes for up to £100 mark.

Will something at that price be able to hold zero nicely and provide a nice clear view / focus on a 50 and 100 meter LSR target (or old pistol targets if you prefer)? This scope is purely for the G22, so it won't be going beyond the 100 meter range.

As mentioned I really have no idea about scopes and if this is realistic?

My anschutz rifles are for precision, but being used to something all together different from shooting LSR I can see myself getting frustrated if the scope isn't up to the job and is more of a hindrance than a help. It will still take some time getting used to using one.

Cheers,
SteveX
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby SteveX » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:46 am

How are Hawke optics?
SteveX
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby leadpig » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:02 pm

SteveX wrote:How are Hawke optics?

hawke are good m8 especially the panorama and the 30mm series,unfortunately the rail on the walther g22 is not,you may be better of with a red dot ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby SteveX » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks.

A red dots not really an option though as I'm looking for a scope :)

I read about the rail not having a relationship with the barrel, but the rail seems pretty solid to me, not much flex or movement. I'm stripping it to modify the trigger bar and trigger so I'll take a look and see if it needs improving.

I've seen quite a few hawkes around, I'll do a bit of reading up on them cheers.
SteveX
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby leadpig » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:12 pm

SteveX wrote:Thanks.

A red dots not really an option though as I'm looking for a scope :)

I read about the rail not having a relationship with the barrel, but the rail seems pretty solid to me, not much flex or movement. I'm stripping it to modify the trigger bar and trigger so I'll take a look and see if it needs improving.

I've seen quite a few hawkes around, I'll do a bit of reading up on them cheers.

the one i saw was a early one,so they may have addressed the issue,but you could move/flex the rail on the one i saw with your fingers :shock:

there are three levels of hake scopes and i have owned or used most of them and imho they batter any of the scopes in their price range.
i have a 30mm sidewinder on my hm2 and am putting another panorama on my air rifle,every time i get a airgun set up some one wants to buy it and i am sure it is because i had a panorama on it when they tried it :lol: :lol:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby SteveX » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Good stuff, appreciate the info. I'll definitely look into Hawkes :)

Any idea on a reasonable level of magnification for the 50 and 100 meter ranges?

Re the G22, it certainly has had some bad press over the years, I had seen a lot of positive reviews also in more recent years. This one is only four months off of the production line, so I am hoping the feeding issues have been ironed out too. I'm using Eley Team on my Anschutz, Sunday will tell if the 1085 fps is enough for the blow back. If there are any issues I will get some higher velocity CCI's for the 22.

One thing is for sure on the G22, the trigger is still terrible, but then again pretty much anything will be compared to a match rifle. I was prepared for this though and will be putting in some work on it :)

I'm hoping it turns out to be a fun rifle.

Cheers,
SteveX
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Flanker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:19 pm

I had a Hawke 3-10x44 on my 22, it was pretty good, I've got it on my 223 now and its fine there too. I have a BSA Sweet 22 on my 22, that's fine too
"The future is full of possibilities - half of them are likely to be good!"
Flanker
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby SteveX » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for that.

How are the Nikko Stirling nighteaters ?

I've been reading up and seen some good and some bad reviews on this one.
SteveX
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby MikeAI » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:03 pm

Fox firearms. Can't go wrong with a brand new scope for about £120!
In the Year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland - starving and outnumbered - charged the fields of Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets; they fought like Scotsmen, and won their freedom
MikeAI
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby leadpig » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 pm

SteveX wrote:Thanks for that.

How are the Nikko Stirling nighteaters ?

I've been reading up and seen some good and some bad reviews on this one.

dreadfull :thdn: :thdn:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:23 pm

SteveX wrote:Good stuff, appreciate the info. I'll definitely look into Hawkes :)

Any idea on a reasonable level of magnification for the 50 and 100 meter ranges?

Cheers,

personal choice really,some like high mag some like low mag,but the better the glass the lower mag you can use ;)
i use around 12/14x mag for 100 metres normally :)

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby SteveX » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Well, I've found one I like, but I'm not too sure on splashing out 300 on a scope and rings at the moment. It's the MTC Viper connect.

I'm think I need a fairly low fitting scope on the rail / carry handle, I was hoping now to get a 32mm lense, and pref at least up to 9x magnification.

My options seem more limited with the above in mind.

I can't find anything at all around the £100 mark even second hand.

I've spent the past five hours looking and I am going a little mad :)
SteveX
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby leadpig » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:10 pm

SteveX wrote:Well, I've found one I like, but I'm not too sure on splashing out 300 on a scope and rings at the moment. It's the MTC Viper connect.

I'm think I need a fairly low fitting scope on the rail / carry handle, I was hoping now to get a 32mm lense, and pref at least up to 9x magnification.

My options seem more limited with the above in mind.

I can't find anything at all around the £100 mark even second hand.

I've spent the past five hours looking and I am going a little mad :)

have you looked through one ;)
whats your budget :)

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision