divine

Scope for .308 for Deer

Don't buy cheap glass!

Scope for .308 for Deer

Postby timbeech » Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm looking for a scope to put on a Remmy 700 .308 for deer stalking.

I've narrowed it down to four so far but would like other peoples opinions on these scopes especially if they've used them, or if I've missed something obvious out my budget is about £600.

1) Lightstream 5-20x50 SF CIR

2) Burris Four X 3-12x56 IR (30mm)

3) Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50

4) Leupold VX-R 4-12x50
timbeech
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Scope for .308 for Deer

Postby Triffid » Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 pm

I've not used any of the scopes you mention, but would suggest you have a look at the Meopta Meostar R1 if you're set on new variable-mag scope.

Personally on my deer rifles I have fixed power scopes - a Swaro 6x42 Habich and a S&B 8x50 Hung. Both have absolutely superb twilight performance, rugged and reliable. And well within your price bracket.

Don't rule out second-hand as a decent quality scope can easily be serviced by the manufacturers. Try Stalking Directory or Macleods.
Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby RUSSIAN SNIPER » Tue May 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Yep as triffid said........

I'm a schmidt & bender scope user on my .308, .243, .223 all for deer/fox
They are all variables but i started out with fixed mag 6x42 and 8x56 - which is all you need for deer stalking ;)

Daz
Centrefire,Rimfire,Shotgun,Airgun I love shooting em all!!
RUSSIAN SNIPER
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Don't discount Meopta. Excellent scopes, I have a 3x9x42 on my .308
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue May 28, 2013 10:25 pm

I find that for deer, a scope that has any adjustments takes your focus away from the quarry. You simply have something else to think about.
A high quality German 6X42, 7x50, 8x56, etc will be sharper, brighter and have better colour than pretty much anything else as they contain fewer moving parts which allows the designer to optimise the performance.
6x mag is plenty for any normal stalking shots. I can use my 6x42 S&B to 300 yards easily; even in very low light.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby hungryrob » Wed May 29, 2013 12:03 am

Beer Hunter wrote:I find that for deer, a scope that has any adjustments takes your focus away from the quarry. You simply have something else to think about.
A high quality German 6X42, 7x50, 8x56, etc will be sharper, brighter and have better colour than pretty much anything else as they contain fewer moving parts which allows the designer to optimise the performance.
6x mag is plenty for any normal stalking shots. I can use my 6x42 S&B to 300 yards easily; even in very low light.

Kev.

I agree but the varible comes n handy when you're setting it up for drop etc...

I have an S&B 2.5 - 10 on my .308. It's great :)

If I'm stalking, I set it at 7X and forget the zoom.
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby jeff » Wed May 29, 2013 1:12 am

I don't shoot deer, but on my equivalent guns I have a Swaro 3-10x42 on the 7mm and a Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42 on the 338WM. I think if I was just stalking, I'd go with a fixed mag from any of the German manufacturers, but I do need the variable for what I do - running shots on pigs where you want low mag, but higher mag for the 200-300m shots across large open paddocks. Clarity is everything though. :grin:

I would go s/h and spend the same money to get better glass from a better make, and take any high mag vermin scopes (Like the 5-20x you mention) or the chepaer glass like the Burris out of the equation.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby thibben » Fri May 31, 2013 7:03 am

I would second the vote for good quality used over new poor glass, especially fot hunting.

Personnaly I'd go for the 7x50 as a nice balance. Not having higher mag for testing loads etc. is a bit of a draw back but you can make up for this to a degree in the target design you shoot off the bench.

Just saying!

Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 am

I also prefer fixed mag scopes for stalking. However as Swarovski no longer make 8x56 with an illuminated reticule I went for the Z4i which is 2.5-10x56.
The scope is set at 8 & remains so. Where
I stalk the deer come out very late and the Swaro, together with the illuminated reticule, gives me an extra 15 minutes shooting over the S&B 8X56 that I previously used. That might seem rather a lot to pay for the extra 15 minutes but if it means the difference between taking a deer and going home empty handed then it is worth it for me.
Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby IanF » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:31 pm

To actually answer the question you asked............ :hmm:

Of the list you present, I have used both Zeiss and Burris.

My preference is the Burris - very good light transmission and excellent value for money.

So much so that my three Client rifles have them mounted - not taking anything away from the established 'European' scopes (I have those as well) but if you wish to buy new within your budget, that is the one I would head for.

Rgds

Ian :)
Just taking my rifle for a walk :)

For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062
IanF
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby timbeech » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm sorted now.

I got a second hand Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50. I love it to bits, great scope. Want another one to put on my rimmy :)
timbeech
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby hungryrob » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:01 pm

timbeech wrote:I'm sorted now.

I got a second hand Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50. I love it to bits, great scope. Want another one to put on my rimmy :)

Great choice, I had one and wished I had kept it. :)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby jeff » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:16 am

hungryrob wrote:Great choice, I had one and wished I had kept it. :)

It's in much better hands now....it's even had a Duracoat paint job. :grin:
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision