divine

Fox Brand Scopes

Don't buy cheap glass!

Fox Brand Scopes

Postby Shootist » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:35 am

Having just mortgaged a kidney to purchase a Savage F/TR rifle, the next move was a scope. I have a fairly decent 32x fixed mag scope that would do, but I've had several recommendations by F/TR shooters, for the scopes supplied by Fox Firearms as a very inexpensive starter scope. These scopes appear to be a branded version of Chinese made 'Zos' scopes and the likes. Slightly cheaper if you buy them from that auction site, but you risk catching customs duty, and it's nice to be able to take the seller warmly by the throat if there's problems. Fox don't make extravagant claims for the scopes, and warn of it's possible limitations. At about £135 I thought I'd chance it for the 10-40x50 version, which has a 30mm tube, as does the slightly cheaper 8-32x50.

It duly arrived, and I have to say I'm impressed. The build quality seems good, the optical performance, while obviously not up to scopes that cost 10 times as much, is pretty good. Twisting the 1/8" click turrets I found they were neither stiff, nor sloppy, but fine in adjustment. The zoom ring is also about right. The reticule is a bit 'busy' but very fine, and quite liveable with. Interestingly for an inexpensive scope, the adjustment spring is a coil, rather than a leaf, in imitation of more expensive scopes. Close focus is very close, and this scope would, I think, be a good budget option for field target types.

I haven't had a chance to mount it on a rifle yet, due to the wait for my variation. when I do, I'll report further.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Fox Brand Scopes

Postby Viperteks » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:44 am

I had the 10-40x version, great scope for the money. Also a club member shot a F-Class 1000yd with one and WON it, that pissed a fair few people off :grin: I would NOT use it for Deer or Fox - just in case it went wrong at a critical moment - but target shooting, no problem!

I don't think you can go wrong for that money! :thup: :thup:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Re: Fox Brand Scopes

Postby Triffid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Hmm, that's interesting, thanks for posting the review.
The high-power scope I use for zeroing and ammo-test is about to be returned to it's owner after long-term load (about 10 years!) - it's a Tasco jap 6-24x50 or similar, so I'm looking to replace it with something similar.
Like you, I've heard good things about Fox scopes and would be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

Also thinking about Vortex scopes
http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/viper-65-20x50-pa-with-v-plex-wide-reticle-moa-198.aspx

Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision