divine

Zeiss binoculars

Don't buy cheap glass!

Zeiss binoculars

Postby SST » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:38 am

I went to by brother-in-law's farm to hunt coyotes and turkeys two weeks ago. He showed me his new binoculars, Zeiss 8x20 compacts. Unbelievable optics. I just had some cheapos I stuck in my pocket, but there was no comparison in quality. The difference in price, $20.00 vs $350.00, made that much difference in optic quality. Where I hunt, we have restrictions on deer. Bucks must have at least 4 points on one side to be legal. Many of the smaller bucks that previously were taken by hunters get another season to grow and become more impressive. In northern Missouri, there are a lot of crops. The deer have a steady diet of corn and soy beans and tend to run on the big side anyway, but the bucks must still have enough antler to meet requirements. Good optics really helps you count antler points when visibility favors the game more than hunters.

On that hunting trip, I went bow hunting, but forgot my bow. He asked me to bring a rifle to help thin out coyotes, but I grabbed my 7-08AI instead of my 22-250. I did manage to grab the right shotgun, though. My turkey folded to a 3.5" 12ga magnum with 2 1/4oz of #5 shot, and the coyote succumbed to a 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from the 7-08AI. Even though I forgot my bow, the trip wasn't a complete waste of time.
Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST’s Rifle Room
http://angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom
SST
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Zeiss binoculars

Postby Beer Hunter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:27 am

I had a look through a pair of Zeiss Victory RF's a few weeks back and was just blown away by the quality. These things showed shadow detail than even the best Leicas couldn't see.
They are £1,700 (~$2,940) though. Unless the lottery comes through :cry:

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Re: Zeiss binoculars

Postby Tommo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:38 pm

This might sound a little strange but I can't wait to see the headlines... "US military to withdraw from Afghanistan and Iraq..." Maybe then I can get the Steiner binos I want...!!! :grin:

I love the Steiner 8x30 but I want a pair with the rangefinding reticule and, currently, it appears they are all going to the military..!!! :roll: Really good optics on Steiners, pefect size and shape too.. not to forget they are focus free :thup:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision