divine

NV advice for new fox set up

Don't buy cheap glass!

NV advice for new fox set up

Postby Judge Ali » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:43 am

So want to dedicate my ruger m77 for NV but know next to nothing about it.

At present I have a S&B 8x56 on it. Can spend about £1000 extra and/or chop in the S&B as well.

Was looking at removing scope and replacing with a pulsar but both models I looked at have really low magnification. Am I missing something here is x4.5 really any good for shooting up to 200m at night? Seems a little low maybe it's just me but would prefer more than that even during daylight.

Tried out my friends archer (a bit more at £1600) and liked it but even if I kept the S&B on and moved if as far forward through mounts as possible it still makes the set up a little uncomfortable and as I am intending it to be a permanent set up want it sitting right. Like the way it doubles as spotting scope but this isn't essential for me to have and am happy to have a 'fixed' unit on rifle.

Like I said have limited experience and knowledge with this. What else is out there you have used or can recommend?

Going to be used for foxes on .223 M77 Mk II out to 200 yds. All advice appreciated.
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: NV advice for new fox set up

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:17 am

Alex,have you considered a objective bell (front mounted) NV add on. :idea:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tisme » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:59 am

Pulsar N750 will zoom into 7 times and is, all round, very good. NV is a strange beast in that judging distance is very hard. Even if I could see out to 500 yards I doubt if I could rang find it. Also with NV you can bring fox's right in to where you are.
So don't get too hung up on distance, the furthest I've shoot with a N550 X4 is 220 yards with a .22 hornet. I thought it was closer and luckily it dropped on the spot. After this I put markers out every 50 yards for a while to get use to it. some of the farms I shoot still have the markers out.

NV does open up a new world in shooting
There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.
Stephen Hawking
tisme
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby rgs101 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:04 am

I use the n500 on my air rifle, and have the Dr Bobs kit on it giving me 7.5 mag.. Which has been perfectly good for me..

Im getting a 17hmr soon, cant decide whether to put the n550 or get the Ward-d unit that clips on the back of a regular scope..

The good thing is if you get the n750 you can still use it day time
.243 Howa 1500
.17hmr browning t-bolt
.22 Ruger 10/22
.22 CZ 452
.22 Colt M4 OPS Carbine
.22 HW100 with pulsar N550
12g mossberg 500A pump
.410 hushpower
rgs101
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Clive Ward » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi Ali,

If you are fitting dedicated NV onto a Ruger you'll need to get one of these first:

http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-M77-MK ... Drill.html

You may also need to have the NV scopes mount base tickled so that it doesn't foul the rear clamp on the weigand adapter.

I would go for tubed rather than digital in a dedicated scope. Tubed has a far better field of view and image and is not totally dependent on illumination. The other problem I've found with digital rifle scopes is that the image processing to add the cross hairs, etc. creates increased delay in the system so unless you are on a rock solid rest hitting things with certainty can be a bit interesting.

We do have a new low profile 5x mag tubed scope 55 lp/mm that's not silly money coming out when I get chance to do the final testing. They're in stock at £1750 inc VAT.

Cheers

Clive
http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk
High end night vision digital, tubed and thermal monoculars, rifle scopes, clip ons, add ons, IR Illuminators and accessories.
Clive Ward
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Postby Judge Ali » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Ok thanks for all replies and helpful info. If the pulsar is X7 then that's more like it I only saw in one admit stated 4.5 hence my original query. I know from when I used the archer that ranging is trickier at night. Luckily this set up will be used on permissions that I know like the back of my hand so even at night I have a good idea of distance.

Thanks for link as well - very helpful.

Will keep checking out what's on offer and gather some more info and post what I decide upon.
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision